What micron reading are on the ford filters.

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm what the micron rating on the ford filters are. Does anyone use a different filter than ford or international. I am just wondering if it would do any good to replace my filter with a Racor unit and would it be worth it. Thank you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All I'm sure of is the large psd 1995 filters are a smaller micron filter than the smaller non turbo oil filters from ford. The reason the psd 1995 filters down to a smaller or lower number micron is they use the motor oil for the injection pump pressure. That pressure is 20,000 lbs minimum and will reach 34,000 lbs pulling hard and heavy. These are stock pressures.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the NAPA/Wix stuff, 6 mic on the fuel for my 6.9 no idea on micron rating for the oil filter I always get the PSD one especially since I have a turbo I feel I need it.

discbrks

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm what the micron rating on the ford filters are. Does anyone use a different filter than ford or international. I am just wondering if it would do any good to replace my filter with a Racor unit and would it be worth it. Thank you.

Are you asking about oil filters or fuel filters?

sassyrel

Reaction score
fuel filters are 5 micron--oil filters are 20 micron---and a human hair is average 60 micron-----:D :D