What is this turbo setup

Hunters628

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Anyone seen a setup like this before. This is on a 91 7.3 idi. I’ve tried and tried to find anything the resembles this setup but can’t. It doesnt scream home brew to me. The seller thought it was a banks but it definitely isn’t. I know a fair bit about idis and I am a diesel mechanic by trade so I know my way around. He is going to try and see if there are any other ID marks on it. I’m looking to buy the turbo setup to use on my truck but not sure if it will work. Waiting on more pictures and information. I’m concerned about the downpipe location relative to the clutch master. If anyone knows of a side mount setup like this please point me in the right direction. I know there were more kits than banks ats and hypermax back in the day so I’m wondering if this is just discontinued.
Thanks
Hunter

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From here, looks like it may be a Rotomaster type. Cardone has purchased this company recently I understand.
Is not super but is better than nothing. Parts & kits are available.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hunters628

Reaction score
From here, looks like it may be a Rotomaster type. Cardone has purchased this company recently I understand.
Is not super but is better than nothing. Parts & kits are available.
In doing some research looks like it would be a Rotomaster turbo on a Turbo Engineering setup. I saw it referred to as a RayJay setup too. I can’t find anything past that. I saw a post of a guy wanting to put a holset turbo on this manifold. I still have found no info on weather this will clear a clutch master or not.

Hunters628

Reaction score
@ih8minimumwage Looks like we posted at the same time! Thanks for that link. This one is very helpful. Funny enough the truck I’m looking at buying this setup from is an hour north of Tacoma Wa. I doubt it’s the same rig but it’s a funny coincidence

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the couple of minutes I was looking for info to help, spotted someone in a forum saying the clutch line needs to be replaced with stainless braided because of the heat and routing, so I'd assume the clutch master would clear. Does seem to be a cool turbo setup for doing upgrades.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
It IS a rotomaster turbo set up from Turbo Engineering in Tacoma. I used one like it for years, then made another with a different flange for a modified Holset H1C. Good reliable products. The original pressure bonnet is turned 90* on mine cuz I used it for the air from the intercooler outlet as well. It was the only company that provided an oil reserve tank for the turbo bearings after shutdown.

Attachments

• reworked H 1 C, 56mm billet wheel.jpg
    reworked H 1 C, 56mm billet wheel.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 25
  • cooler tube to pressure bonnet.jpg
    cooler tube to pressure bonnet.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 23
  • TURBO ENGINEERING  .JPG
    TURBO ENGINEERING .JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 24

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 kits that mount the turbo off the driver's side manifold. One is a turbo engineering, the other done by BAE. He'll have to do a little more inspection as to what kit it is. It looks like a turbo engineering/rayjay kit with the way it's mounted. Inspeciton of the manifold will reveal turbo engineering or BAE cast into the manifold, and that will decide which kit you have.

Turbo engineering used a rayjay turbo, the exhaust went down the driver's frame rail, and it used a manifold that looks like this.

BAE used a rotomaster turbo. They used the stock air filter similar to how hypermax did, they routed the exhaust over the engine towards the firewall, and the manifold is a little different and looks like this.

Hunters628

Reaction score
I’m going to be pulling the turbo setup next weekend so I will get more pictures for sure. Thanks everyone for the replies. @typ4 i will message you about clutch stuff.

OlyGreenMonster

Reaction score
I have one of these side mount turbos with all the parts sitting in a box -- had purchased from a tow truck yard in Seattle 15 years ago, and never did figure out what brand it was -- I'd never thought of inspecting the exhaust manifold for a name. Will check that now. The turbo is definitely loose and in need of a rebuild. Has anyone here in Washington State had good experiences with American Turbo in Shelton?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online