logfarmer

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Hi
Looking at an 86 4x4 single cab with this turbo installed in Tacoma Washington some years ago by a diesel shop. The original owners daughter is selling but does not have much in the way of details. The vehicle looks like it has about 150k on it from the odometer and general condition. It has been neglected and sitting outside for several years, but seems solid and the dash isn't even cracked! It has batteries which are dead but it might be able to be pull started as it is a 4 speed. the hood is bent a little and the rear quarter panel got hit by a cable. It looks like it was cared for by the original owner but the daughter has let it go. They are asking $700 for it which I think is worth it but not sure about the turbo and parts availability. Could not find any identifying marks except a D and an A on the aluminum housing in the second photo.
Thanks for any help
Martin

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a RayJay turbo. One of the kits available, back in the day, but not one of the more common ones.

I think I've only ever heard of/seen 5-6 since I've been around the IDI's.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kit goes by many different names, rayjay/turbo engineering/rotomaster/BAE/Psyhco billy/etc.

They were the turbo kits before ATS/Banks/Hypermax developed their respective kits locating the turbo above the intake manifold.

For 700 bucks, I'd buy it, but I wouldn't mess with pull starting it. Bring some new fuel filters, batteries, fresh fuel, and see if it will light off. Maybe fill the first fuel filter with atf, crank it over a bit and let the atf sit in the pump for a while. Things can get gummy after sitting for several years.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This matches my kit identically. My turbo says Rajay but my intake hat I thought was home made and somebody did a really good job. My turbo flange/rectangle tube is also welded into the original manifold. Every other Rajay kit I've seen has it's own exhaust manifold and a cast aluminum intake hat. I'll bet that one is welded into the factory exhaust manifold too. I see max 1150 degrees pyro pulling a grade on a hot day I usually back off at 1000, max boost is 15 psi my injection pump is maxed. It's on my studded 7.3 zf5 84 I don't have a under hood picture on my computer but here's a picture from a few years ago on the mockup engine. Turbo is going to Russ soon (type4) for a billet wheel and a rebuild while the truck sits for the winter

logfarmer

Reaction score
Going back to look again tomorrow and will see if the turbo flange is welded to the manifold. The daughter found all the paperwork for the truck so maybe that will reveal something.
Martin

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to look again tomorrow and will see if the turbo flange is welded to the manifold. The daughter found all the paperwork for the truck so maybe that will reveal something.
Martin
Definitely keep this post updated! I would absolutely love to see some paper work on this turbo kit if any. I honestly think it was kinda a DIY kit that was sold that's just my assumption. My kit also came with that canister thing that's inline with the turbo oil feed I just left it out as I've never seen another turbo on anything with a similar deal. I kinda think that canister thing was to hold some oil pressure to keep a little feed t the turbo as it winds down at shut down but I always let my truck idle a couple minutes or more before shutting down to let everything cool down. My turbo makes almost no whistling noise out the exhaust but the intake reminds me of a semi truck you get the high pitch whistle start to come in with load and rpm and it just keeps building up. It seems to be a rather large exhaust housing turbo I can drive my truck around like a grandpa and build no boost but when I stab it she lights up and takes off. Another thing I am extremely impressed by is I got 15mpg pulling my 10,000lb gooseneck featherlite horse trailer camper that was converted into a toy hauler the setup is a 7.3 with studs, Russ injectors, maxed pump, ZF5 4.10 gears, 265/75r16 tires 84 bullnose standard cab

logfarmer

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,
So got some great news, towed it home about 7 miles arrived about 6 hours ago just now put it back in the garage under its own power. The water in fuel light is on as it still has its original water separator. The cruise control diaphragm is on top of it so will remove that so as to be able to get in there and drain it.
There is the complete installation guide and parts list for the turbo and even an advertisement sheet. Booyah had the name, I'll check tomorrow, the paperwork is all outside, Turbo Engineering I think it was.
It does lope but will idle, probably the fuel supply is not all there. The tank switch works and one of the tanks is empty so maybe fill that one half full of fresh diesel and Some kind of injector or fuel system cleaner?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
It could be one of the injectors is not working, just haven't had time to check those yet.
It looks like it has been well cared for, all the caps were on the tire stems.
I sure am glad to have one of these back again.
Martin

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,
So got some great news, towed it home about 7 miles arrived about 6 hours ago just now put it back in the garage under its own power. The water in fuel light is on as it still has its original water separator. The cruise control diaphragm is on top of it so will remove that so as to be able to get in there and drain it.
There is the complete installation guide and parts list for the turbo and even an advertisement sheet. Booyah had the name, I'll check tomorrow, the paperwork is all outside, Turbo Engineering I think it was.
It does lope but will idle, probably the fuel supply is not all there. The tank switch works and one of the tanks is empty so maybe fill that one half full of fresh diesel and Some kind of injector or fuel system cleaner?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
It could be one of the injectors is not working, just haven't had time to check those yet.
It looks like it has been well cared for, all the caps were on the tire stems.
I sure am glad to have one of these back again.
Martin
I would absolutely love to see pictures of the turbo paperwork! I'd even be interested in buying that paperwork just to have it in the glove box of my truck I've been restoring! very happy to hear you got her home and running!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading elsewhere that the Rayjay interferes with the AC system, but looking at it again, there might still be room for the compressor? Can anyone confirm?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online