what is the cold start issue with 6.0s?

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im lookin at 2 6.0's right now and someone just told me about the cold start issue. the stiction.. i think he called it. its just until the oil gets up to operating temp then it runs fine? someone please explain this to me. and do the 6.0s eat glowplugs?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
6.0's do not eat glow plugs. Mine are factory 2003 / 109000 miles.

Yes there is a phenomenon called stiction. The injector has a small "shuttle valve" that operates the engine oil side of the injector. When they are cold, the can start hard, and idle bad until the engine starts to warm up (not full operating temp, a minute or two). There is a flash for the PCM/FICM that basically runs a "buzz test" when you turn on the ignition while the WTS light is on. This helps to warm/eject the oil and there is no problem. I had this flash done 3+ years ago and I have not had a problem since. I have not had any issue starting when it is cold out. However stiction is not related to outside temp, it is related to engine temp. I had stiction issues in the summer. However for cold weather starting, this past winter, it would sit in the parking garage at work for 12+ hours at a max of 15 degrees F. Turn on the key, wait for the WTS light, hit the key and it started right up. It idled rough for 10-20 seconds, just like any cold diesel. But it has always started. This was just glowplugs, it was not plugged in.....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem..... there are only a few of us on here that have/had a 6.0. I've had mine for almost 4 years. It has been in the shop once to have the cold start flash done. The only parts that have been replaced are brakes, shocks and the alternator and batteries. The only times it has not started were related to the batteries/alternator issues. There is an 04 Ex 6.0 on the same lot that I bought mine from. I would not hesitate to buy it (if I had the Coin). The 6.0 is not junk like most think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7