what is going on????

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
radiator i definitely need to replace, just cant really afford one right now, but thermostat was new about a year ago, it was however just a generic NAPA thermostat,

remove that t-stat and get MOTORCRAFT ONLY.

i found a radiator at my local parts store for 160 bucks.
its ugly, but it works.

if you dont replace the radiator, bigger problems will come to light....

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll see about picking up a motorcraft thermostat today, I assume I'd have to get that at the stealership?

What makes the Napa thermostats so bad to use?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket thermostats for these engines have smaller passages, which restrict water flow when fully open. This could lead to overheating symptoms. Mine had an aftermarket thermostat in it when I bought it. 2 of the 3 arms holding the center of stat in were broken. Couldn't figure out why truck would never reach operating temps, and it was only 5 yrs old!
Replaced with motorcraft a few years ago and haven't had any problems since. Cheap insurance IMO.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if this is an issue that's caused by a screwy thermostat and a bad radiator, what caused the oil pressure to drop like it did?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So if this is an issue that's caused by a screwy thermostat and a bad radiator, what caused the oil pressure to drop like it did?

The hotter the oil, the thinner it gets.... so to speak....... if your coolant got to 220, then the oil got to at least 220....

Look at cold idle oil pressure, vs hot idle oil pressure.... hot is less, because the oil is thinner.... so in your case, the oil was hotter than you normally see, so it got a bit thinner, and the oil pressure dropped some.

I've seen this in the past, we had an 85 van...... if your ran at 55, the engine temp was lower, and the oil pressure was higher than if you were running 80. The temp was up, the oil pressure was down..... not enough to hurt anything... but enough to make a difference on the gauge........

If I remember right, when Gary popped the freeze plug, his oil temp went WAY up...... like pushing 300 up...... now his engine temp gauge didn't reflect this, because there was no water on the gauge sender.......

Personally, I would fix the cooling issues (thermostat and radiator) change the oil, and take it for a drive..... it should be back to what you normally see..... however the engine temp may be lower with a new radiator and thermostat.... and this may make the oil pressure a bit higher......

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh that makes sense, didn't think about that, was kinda stuck in worst case scenario mode, thinking there was more that was broke

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ok, I'll see about picking up a motorcraft thermostat today, I assume I'd have to get that at the stealership?

What makes the Napa thermostats so bad to use?

Ford wont have that stat in stock today, but I have a few of them if you need one today.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Black dawg, are you in Stevensville/Missoula area?
How much would you want for one?

You were at my place, to look at a 6.9 for sale (the one the nozzles fell out of). just north of oles.
You can have this one, if you get me another, whenever you can.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, then I guess I know where to go lol

I don't think I'll need to get it today, won't have time to work on it, so I might just see how long it will take the dealer to get it first, cuz I won't have time to work on the truck til this weekend anyway,, but if it will take them a long time to get it then I will let you know and see about getting one from you and just replace it when the dealer gets it in

Black dawg

Reaction score
If it will save you a trip, I can have one delivered here.

Last edited:

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18 bucks?

From where?
They just told me 37 at Bitteroot motors a few minutes ago

I gotta be in Missoula every day for class anyway, so I already have to make the trip

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have a few here, If you want one for 18 just let me know.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle