What i found

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Found a 6.9 in the yard yesterday. Attached to the c6 was an overdrive unit. Gonna pull it.,

Now the question is, the 6.9 looks like its got 147k on it. The truck its in is in very very very good shape. I was wondering could i throw 7.3 rockers on it the turbo setup off my truck, fuel pump, a 7.3l injection pump, and the fuel filter setup. So i can have a lower mile motor (compression isnt too good on a couple cylinders on me motor)

And if so, ill take the 7.3l and throw it in a f150 with the c6 and overdrive and put the 6.9 in the 4x4 with the turbo.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if you put the 6.9 in your truck, you won't have to worry about cavitation so much. I would stud the heads though (some of those 6.9 head gaskets were weak.) What year is the 6.9L?

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
its a in a 85 truck. so im going to say an 85

H2odrx, Im not sure. Its probably going into the f150.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre 87 engines had a different style that were weaker.

I'm not sure weaker is the best way to describe the issue. I think the issue is they are more apt to wear and fail prematurely, especially if oil change intervals are extended.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Kevin, I'd use that 6.9, 147K miles is low miles for a 6.9. I wouldn't worry about the studs unless you want to boost over about 13-15psi, but do put on a new set of head gaskets, Victor Reinz or felpro.