What color is your WMO?

Smoky12v

Reaction score
My only 4 complaints are the 1) cold start, 2) idle when cold, 3) smokes and 4) one clogged fuel filter. My truck require some pedal to start and keep the foot on the pedal to keep it running as it will not idle on its own when cold but after driving for a mile or so it'll run completely normal again. My truck smoked lot more on this brown/tan fuel than the regular jet black WMO. My fuel pressure started to decline then to a point the pressure will tanks when I accelerate even though it ran fine when driving normal. New fuel filter restored the pressure back to normal. I found nothing suspicious in the fuel filter when I took it out.

Anything other than than, my truck runs strong and fun to drive :)

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I can't wait to finish this batch so my truck can run cleaner(less smokes)!!!!!

I always plug in my truck before I start it. much less smoke.
I find that getting the engine up to 200F coolant temp the smoke out the tail pipe
is gone.
Finding the balance of too hot and just right gets tricky at hwy speeds.

Right now the radiator is not blocked and the truck smokes more.
When I block the rad about half way the temp rises and the smoke stops.

Javier

Smoky12v

Reaction score
My truck didn't need any pedal to start when on straight D2, even down to ~15 to 20*F without plugging in block heater.

With WMO, it needs pedal to starts even in the 50's to 70's *F weathers I had recently.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 93 cummins dont use any pedal to start ... but I have heard that is quite common on the 94-98 12Valves to have to use just a slight amount of pedal to start cold .. I believe this is due to timing falling off slightly over time ...or maybe due to governor wear ... as for the color of the WMO ... I have some in a tank left over from a trip last fall that is a light brown ... about 50/50 diesel and WMO ... the oil came from an oil change Quick lube place ... so it is mostly gasser 5w30 or there abouts and gasser WO seems to be more of a brownish color than diesel WMO .. but I believe that immulsified water is also to blame for the brownish color ... like the brown sludge you get in a radiator when an oil cooler fails .. yyuueck ...I did get my '98 cummins fired off for the first time last weekend and it wouldnt idle until it got warmed up a good bit ... and after sitting for around three hours I fired it up again and it required a slight pedal then as well ...

Smoky12v

Reaction score
I don't know if it's true but when I made a radiator blocker for the winter as I often don't drive far. I drove 10 hours to home for the spring break and the entire time my truck ran at a steady temperature of around 170*F. I noticed lower MPG than normal so I removed the radiator blocker then my fuel range got noticeable much higher so I think it hurt more than it help so I leave it out until it's REALLY cold.