What Clutch for a 6.9 4 speed??

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know there is a lot of info here on what flywheel, clutch brand and type to use on a 6.9 4 speed. My clutch is on its last few trips, especially after towing the 10000# trailer yesterday - its slipping and its smoking ( all you manual guys out there know that smell!) I need to order a clutch and flywheel this week

1985 F250 4WD, tows a 5 ton trailer on occasion.

thanks

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a 10in and a 12in. For your application, I would probably go 12in. Can't tell you brand though because I don't have enough experience, other than that I put a luk clutch in mine. Be prepared for sticker shock on that flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
There's a 10in and a 12in. For your application, I would probably go 12in. Can't tell you brand though because I don't have enough experience, other than that I put a luk clutch in mine. Be prepared for sticker shock on that flywheel.

It's a 11inch and a 12 inch.we just did mine about a week and a half ago.we went back with the 11 inch because of the core charge

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 11inch and a 12 inch.we just did mine about a week and a half ago.we went back with the 11 inch because of the core charge

correct. i also went with the 11in, but im not pulling 10k either. the brain and numbers...

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11 inch stock, 12 inch will fit. I also installed the LuK 11 inch, as I don't really tow all that much, and I found a screaming deal on an 11 inch kit (I paid $75 shipped). My LuK is great, nice and smooth. One thing to check is that your input shaft is VERY clean. They have a tendency to get gunked up and then the clutch is very hard to press because the throwout bearing binds. Grease up the inside of the throwout bearing before installing it onto the shaft. I have to remove my clutch fork and stick my hand up into the bellhousing about once a year (should do it twice, but I'm lazy) and shove some more grease between the bearing and the input shaft. Makes an unbelievable difference. My clutch can be the hardest one I've ever felt before doing this, and right after, it's easier and smoother than the one on my Corolla LOL

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a south bend, but not sure they even make them for our trucks anymore. I don't have any experience other than the stocker vs the south bend so I can't be too much help but just listing out another brand option.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 6.9L had a 11".
I installed a 7.3T and it had a 12" on it.
it would not clear the bell housing.
I found that out the hard way when I tried to spin the engine over.
pulled the trans back out and installed the 11"

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 12" clutch from South Bend. It was a LUK. Go with their kevlar pilot bearing. The 12" fits fine with the T-19. The TO bearing looked cheesy so I bought a Centerforce one from National Parts Depot. It looked marginally better.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one on my truck looked like a 10"'er, when i put in new engine i resurfaced flywheel and 11" sachs clutch. Dont know if it is the bearing that came with it but in neutral running it sounds funky unless i keep clutch pushed in or in gear then its smooth. Feels great in every aspect except neutral clutch out.

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wound up with a 12" clutch disc / kit that and bought a new flywheel that I think I got an amazing deal on at Rock Auto, It was a Luk flywheel, made in Germany for 135$ , could not believe the quality when it showed up at my door. I still have not installed the kit, at this point with the cold weather here I may just take it to a shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828