What can I tear off of this picture?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
So I am prepping this engine to be dropped in my Ford... looking at the injection pump and I am pretty green with this kind. I know the thing on the left is a TPS for a slushbox and I want to pull it off... but how much more can I take off? This is getting a NV4500 and I would like to simplify things as much as possible... so what all can I take off? Sorry about the fuel solenoid connector getting in the way... Thanks all.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The lower rearward cable doesn't need to be there - mine only had the two on top and she was a manual.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As a side note... what has been done to the 5th gear on the NV4500? It's easier to correct it now before it fails and you have to yank the rear of the tranny off under the truck to put the gear back on again and again and again and again...

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
As a side note... what has been done to the 5th gear on the NV4500? It's easier to correct it now before it fails and you have to yank the rear of the tranny off under the truck to put the gear back on again and again and again and again...

I got the whole thing from a shop... "rebuilt"

The builder said it had a "new updated nut". I have done some research into the 5th gear issues and have basically come to the conclusion that I will run it as is... it is better than stock but not the best and I will go with quad4x4's fancy repair if I lose 5th down the road. That sound like a good idea?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Be careful on the updated nut thing, it's probably the nut with the three set screws - yes it will hold but it's not a fix all.... I did one and it popped it off. Then welded the shaft - it held but broke the shaft many moons later, I went with a non quad 4x4 shaft with the updated three set screw nut and had problems - ended up putting two new (set screw nuts) nuts on the updated shaft and locked them together and did not have a problem after that. but I also didn't use the cruise control until I was loaded down.

What I noticed with mine was because the power was up so high that the cruise control was programmed for much less power so the truck would surge when holding speed. That constant loading and unloading on the gear would back the nut right off. You could feel the surging in the drivers seat something fierce, I wanted to get a needle valve and install it in the vacuum line for the cruise but just never remembered to pick one up when I was at the hardware store.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need nothing on the IP. You can toss the shutoff solenoid in the trash and put a choke cable on it if you want.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
You need nothing on the IP. You can toss the shutoff solenoid in the trash and put a choke cable on it if you want.

Obviously there has to be something... throttle cable has to go somewhere. Have a pic of that kind of setup eliminating the fuel solenoid?

Bare minimum... I think I need that spring on the left with at least one (preferably 2) throttle cables going to it to pull it back. And I need the arm going to the right to pivot the actual throttle? And that return spring by the steering pump is just a fail-safe in case the arm disconnects? Fuel shutoff solenoid (or choke cable) is a hard fuel shutoff to kill the engine?

Is all this sounding right folks? If not, where am I off? Thanks