What brand etc head gaskets?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Does anyone know who is carrying the Victor Reinz gaskets online, or chain store wise these days? Went by NApa and they told me they have been all Fel pro for a year now

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cortecos had umbrellas in the set, I put positive seals on to go with the new bronze guides.
I liked the coating and dont know if that really makes any difference when you squeeze the gaskets as hard as I do. My buddy that has been selling engine parts for 30 years is who I ask about stuff. Even though I know everything:rotflmao .
Anyway, new subject, melling is to be watched closely, he just had 2 bad oil pumps in a row. one chrysler sb, the other chev sb. If you cant get those right better give it up.

Couldnt be the illegal labor or offshore manufacturing quality could it???????????

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The cortecos had umbrellas in the set, I put positive seals on to go with the new bronze guides.
I liked the coating and dont know if that really makes any difference when you squeeze the gaskets as hard as I do. My buddy that has been selling engine parts for 30 years is who I ask about stuff. Even though I know everything:rotflmao .
Anyway, new subject, melling is to be watched closely, he just had 2 bad oil pumps in a row. one chrysler sb, the other chev sb. If you cant get those right better give it up.

Couldnt be the illegal labor or offshore manufacturing quality could it???????????

Sheesh, That is a sorry state of affairs, Many moons ago when I was working a machine shop( near 30 years ago now, oy) we used a ton of melling pumps and never had a single one fail. Now they're going in the toilet Gee I wonder why???:rolleyes: cookoo Better take a look at what;s in my engine, it hasn't been together long. with my luck it'll go next.

Corteco has a big spiel on their head gasket coating that unlike oem which are made for a clean surface, they specially designed it to compensate for the standard scuffs and irregularities encountered during a regular head gasket job where machining is not going to be done to clean up the surfaces, not such a big deal on iron heads as you know, but on aluminum, a royal pain in some cases. I was curious to see if it looked like anything special. I almost bought one for a Volvo diesel when I was having a nightmare trying to find someone with enough brainpower around here to clean off a few thousandths off an aluminum head with steel precups and some bonehead screwed it up and I almost had to order a new casting out of Germany till I found a real miracle worker a few months later who salvaged the thing.

Did you just grab an extra set of intake seals and pop them on the exhaust valves to get the positve ones all around?

I'll have to agree that fel pro is on the ball on newer engines with sealing problems that are spilling over into the private sector repair market, I've seen a few late model GM products that have had warrenty repairs that still leak like crazy and someone brings it by and i'll throw a fel pro gasket and it looks like something from a different car, quite a difference, but on older, less popular applications, they let sleeping dogs lie.