what blend??

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what blend to run in the van during winter????

whats safe to run?? I imagine it wouldnt bother it if its processed (no acids from evaping the water out)

its the 6.9 NA..I figure I could run at least the 5%...but what about the 20%??

I would love to finnaly get the conversion done for 100% but that wont happen till im doing it myself..

cant wait till the new library/student services building opens...already been given the green light for all their waste oil...

and found a place about 4 miles from work with B2 on pump..gonna check it out...and found 2 bulk supplyers intown..gonna call and see what the deal is..cost per gal and quantity...

still gathering parts for my own station..but need to build an outbuilding for processing..really dont wanna do it downstairs in the garage...probably attract every field mouse in a 2 mile area!!

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking of blending WVO, I would stop over at the Solvent Thinning board over @ infopopbio forum.

Thinning will take some experimentation for you needs. get some jars of blend @ various ratios and pop them into the freezer and check the pour point/ cloud point against your Diesel.

Most folks blend w/ #1 kero/diesel/RUG, naptha, and some other fuel additives. What works for some might not be good for your application. Also, 2 tanks are used to start up and shut down on Diesel to make starting easier.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking of blending WVO, I would stop over at the Solvent Thinning board over @ infopopbio forum.

Thinning will take some experimentation for you needs. get some jars of blend @ various ratios and pop them into the freezer and check the pour point/ cloud point against your Diesel.

Most folks blend w/ #1 kero/diesel/RUG, naptha, and some other fuel additives. What works for some might not be good for your application. Also, 2 tanks are used to start up and shut down on Diesel to make starting easier.

Im more interested in commercailly made at this point...I dont have all my stuff together for the home kit...

and Im fortunate enough that my van is factory dual tanks..:D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
B5 is already thinned all the way out. B20 is pretty thin too. I wouldn't be too concerned about B20 If worried, you could always dump a gal of unleaded in with a fill up.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
B5 is already thinned all the way out. B20 is pretty thin too. I wouldn't be too concerned about B20 If worried, you could always dump a gal of unleaded in with a fill up.

:***: :bs

There is no thinning to biodiesel. B5 simply means 5% biodiesel mixed with 95% dino diesel. AND I would NEVER put any gasoline in a diesel at any mix rate. Kerosene maybe but gasoline never!

To answer the original question 20% or lower should be fine but in my experience I would feel better running 10% or lower with our unpredictable winter temperatures.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
:***: :bs

There is no thinning to biodiesel. B5 simply means 5% biodiesel mixed with 95% dino diesel. AND I would NEVER put any gasoline in a diesel at any mix rate. Kerosene maybe but gasoline never!

To answer the original question 20% or lower should be fine but in my experience I would feel better running 10% or lower with our unpredictable winter temperatures.

Thinned as in, not 100% biodiesel, but biodiesel that has been cut ( thinned) with diesel

Nothing wrong with mixing gasoline in the winter time I ran big trucks in the great white north for years and we regularly would dump 5 gals or more of gasoline in each tank when it was seriously cold out, and I've got a handful of old European diesels and they even tell you in the owners manual to mix your diesel with gas in the cold. Gas isn't the greatest thing for pump lubrication, but biodiesel has bunches more lubricant quality than regular pump diesel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle