What batteries do you have in your idi?

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dropped a pair of Walmart Value 65s in my '90 a few days ago. $55/each new. I run the Value batteries in just about everything for starting batteries. If I need more than a starting battery, or something that's going to sit in storage for long periods of time, such as my boat and camper, I go straight to Odyssey and just accept that I'll be bent over for them, lol.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always ran Walmart batteries and have never had an issue. For $200 you can get a pair of group 65 with a 3 year warranty.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

stick_witch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always ran Walmart batteries and have never had an issue. For $200 you can get a pair of group 65 with a 3 year warranty.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Nice! Thanks for sharing the video, love Project Farm! Very interesting to see the real life stats... i guess cheap is kinda the way to go... unfortunately i dont have a walmart close by. I’ve got a local interstate dealer in town with decent prices though so I think im gonna pick up a pair of group 65s from him. Really want 31s, but i think they won’t fit. Currently have 24F’s that are just under 9in in height that are already super tight, the 65s are 9 1/2in... so i think ill just wait till I can make some deeper battery carriages for 31s under the hood, or on the frame, and run 65s for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for sharing the video, love Project Farm! Very interesting to see the real life stats... i guess cheap is kinda the way to go... unfortunately i dont have a walmart close by. I’ve got a local interstate dealer in town with decent prices though so I think im gonna pick up a pair of group 65s from him. Really want 31s, but i think they won’t fit. Currently have 24F’s that are just under 9in in height that are already super tight, the 65s are 9 1/2in... so i think ill just wait till I can make some deeper battery carriages for 31s under the hood, or on the frame, and run 65s for now.

On the 89? Should be enough room, but it is tight. I've got 31s in my 91 without issue.

stick_witch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses you guys! Ended up going to my local interstate guy and he hooked me up with 2 mtp-65hd’s rated at 850cca/1000ca. He also threw in a vbelt pulley and a 3g alt harness for the 1g to 3g conversion I’m doing alongside new batteries, so that was cool. He was gawking at my truck from the moment I got there so I think that had something to do with his great hospitality[emoji23] pays to have an idi[emoji106]

Ultimately chose to go with 65s because currently I’m running accessories off the terminals that add to the height of the batteries (led lights and a winch) that have a good potential of contacting the hood. Also 31s are definitely overkill so I thought I’d just start small first and move up in the future if I need to.

silexis

Reaction score
I think I've got group 31 Sears Diehard platinums in mine, but I put them in 7 years ago and would have to go out to check. I think the Diehard Platinums were made by Odyssey?
They might have been about $160 each back then, but I was tired of buying batteries every few years....

wrecked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pair of wally's, group 31. I'm fussy about batteries but only had Walmart to choose from. Were for my boat but it's beached now and doesn't need so much oomph anyway.

Pair of Wally's group 24s next spring for the boat (they be pretty darned good turns out) but a better alternator incoming for the truck. Even my shop charger takes hours to bring 31s to a saturated charge. No way this dinky toy original alternator's gonna handle life out on the frozen wastelands of the Cariboo. Especially if I crank the original ford am radio!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pair of wally's, group 31. I'm fussy about batteries but only had Walmart to choose from. Were for my boat but it's beached now and doesn't need so much oomph anyway.

Pair of Wally's group 24s next spring for the boat (they be pretty darned good turns out) but a better alternator incoming for the truck. Even my shop charger takes hours to bring 31s to a saturated charge. No way this dinky toy original alternator's gonna handle life out on the frozen wastelands of the Cariboo. Especially if I crank the original ford am radio!
Over all the various battery threads here and on FTE over the years, it's reported over and over that lead acid batteries are only made by 2 or at the most 3 companies and that the guys doing assembly would slap different stickers on the same run of batts. Walmart, Sears, Costco, NAPA, Orielly... apparently all come from the same manufacturers with essentially the same internals.
The point is it's little wonder that Interstate Economy and Walmart batts have very similar performance as the Sears, Interstate or NAPA stuff. The biggest difference seems to be the price.
This is further supported by a few test articles I've found that had no clear winner of the brands tested, but one form factor Die Hard would perform best while a Walmart cheap-o in a different form factor would win that category. Pretty interesting stuff, and I'm sure there are exceptions but that's the general idea.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Over all the various battery threads here and on FTE over the years, it's reported over and over that lead acid batteries are only made by 2 or at the most 3 companies and that the guys doing assembly would slap different stickers on the same run of batts.

When I was shopping for a pair of batteries almost 2 years ago, Walmart's supply of Maxx 65N was changing manufacturer at the time. The "older" Johnson Control ones had raised caps, the "new" Exide ones were flat on top vent wise. I think they switched back since then so maybe that was a temporary supply or something? A lot of Walmarts along the way were out of them entirely. Others only had the flat top ones. I was able to get a pair of the (better IMO) raised cap ones finally by just holding out a few days longer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online