Well This Sucks,.....

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
obinella said:
men that hold them selves responsible for there own actions are rare in this world. your a good man Darrin

I was thinkin the same thing!
Glad no one was injured/killed. Good luck on finding parts/repairs.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like it has a master cylinder sitting on the tongue. I guess the surge brakes woulda worked better if they'd done maintenance on the wheel cylinders. They tend to rust up pretty quick unless you do aggressive maintenance.

Surge brakes only work if the trailer stays hitched, don't work if trailer is unhooked unhooked

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Glad it was only as bad as it was!

I had a trailer accident once while loading a tractor and attachment. Was on a small hill with no chock blocks under the wheels. Rear wheels of the F350 came off the ground and down the hill we go. Truck and trailer jack knifed into a tree, and the tractor and I came off the trailer. Damage to truck. No damage to tractor or trailer. I got a sprained ankle from jumping off the tractor as it was leaving the trailer. Scary but survived! :eek: :eek:

We live and learn if we don't die first.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm sorry that happened Darrin. For what I know You are the MAN when it comes to parts so I sure hope that there was no more damage than the tailgate and a little scratch.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
But it wasn't a good feeling to see that latch up and the chains swinging.

Yup I know the feeling, YOu stop in your tracks, your gut just kinda drops, and you feel the blood leaving your face,...Glad nothing happened, especially while carrying a Pinto,....Kaboom...! :rotflmao

Glad no one was hurt, trucks can be fixed, so you were blessed. Bet you check/recheck/recheck again everything for a while after that though...

I agree with that, we are really blessed! and I will be checking a lot more. I had to use the tow dolly on Monday, I think I looked at the latch 5 times, and it even had a lock on it.

Darrin, sorry to see that happen. I can relate. Had the same thing happen to the Moose Truck twice in its life, but neither resulted in significant damage. Suzi says hi, and we miss you guys down here

Thanks Mel, We missed being there with the gang also, sounds like you all had a good time, congrats to BJ an Tonya for pulling off a great event, I can't wait to see some pics.

Originally Posted by obinella
men that hold them selves responsible for there own actions are rare in this world. your a good man Darrin

I was thinkin the same thing!
Glad no one was injured/killed. Good luck on finding parts/repairs.

Thanks for the comments guys, Hard to believe I'm a Used Car Salesman hu,...?

It looks like it has a master cylinder sitting on the tongue. I guess the surge brakes woulda worked better if they'd done maintenance on the wheel cylinders. They tend to rust up pretty quick unless you do aggressive maintenance.

Surge brakes only work if the trailer stays hitched, don't work if trailer is unhooked unhooked

The "Surge" brakes only work when connected to the trailer but they are also supposed to lock up (emergency brakes) when it comes disconnected from the truck. There is a lever on top of the surge brake unit with a cable on it that you hook up to the truck with the safety cahins. When that cable is yanked, the brakes lock up. However, since the brakes in general didn't work on the trailer, the emergency brake didn't work either.

It is the same setup that I have on my Kar Kaddy Tow Dolly. Basically all trailers with any kind of brakes have that feature, even my 29' 5th wheel.

I'm sorry that happened Darrin. For what I know You are the MAN when it comes to parts so I sure hope that there was no more damage than the tailgate and a little scratch.

THanks EZ, Getting a tailgate shouldn't be aproblem, the bed is bowed in pretty good, in fact I just measured it, it is supposed to be 66" across, and mine is 62". So it is pulled in 4" total, probablly 1.5" on the drivers side, and 2.5 on the passenger side.
Also the passenger side tailight is cracked.

It sound like mu Insurance Adjuster will be here tomorrow and give me thier estimate on the damage. I am hoping they will just cut me a check and let me get it fixed. Well see what happens.

The bummer part is that Body Man Bob is very busy this month and may not be able to get to it untill after the first of the month. :mad: So if that is the case, We will straighten out the bed, and put in a 5th wheel tailgate that I have here at the shop, and call it good untill next month, Then Big Ed will get the Makeover that I have been wanting to do for a long time! :Sly

I will keep you posted, thanks for all of the well wished, I appreciate the IDI Community! Very Cool!! ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek: :sorry: :cry: SORRY MAN. That certainly does suck. Hope you get your rig fixed soon. Thank God no one was hurt and no more damage was done. Missed you at the Rally. Hope to catch you next time Darrin.

Heath