Well This Sucks,.....

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I was towing friend of mine's 23' boat to the auction this morning when I hit a big dip in the road, and the latch came loose on the trailer toung at 55 MPH. The trailer had no operable brakes that usually would lock up the brakes stoping the boat. Instead I hit the brakes on the truck and watched the boat try to come through the tailgate of the truck.

The whole rig came to a stop with nobody hurt, nothing rolled, no other cars involved, so it could have been a whole lot worse. I have insurance so it will get fixed right, but it is kind of a bummer for now.

Enjoy the pics,...Anyone got a tailgate?

Attachments

• SV500087.JPG
    SV500087.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 45
  • SV500089.JPG
    SV500089.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 46
  • SV500088.JPG
    SV500088.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 32
  • SV500085.JPG
    SV500085.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 44

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
ow ow ow...oh that hurts just looking at it...............doesnt help ur truck looks a lot like mine..ow ow ow ow ow. id offer to check the local yard for you, but i think shipping plus yard $ would make it cost prohibitive to michigan from California.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That really is a mess. I'll bet your sure glad you had a tailgate to stop the boat. Otherwise you may have been looking for a complete bed or a casket. Things really can get ugly in a hurry can't they. Glad everyone is ok. Metal can be replaced but someones life can't.......

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Wow that's scary!!!! Glad no-one other than Big Ed got hurt. I think Eric Boutin was taking a tailgate to the IDI Weekend for the swap meet. Maybe you could get someone to pony express it up to you. Remember to check your balls gentlemen.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
OUCH. Man that's gotta hurt. -cuss -cuss
If Eric has that tailgate, someone could get the message to Liddledoggie to snag onto it and I could relay it for ya from there since Joe lives so close to me. If not I can check on a replacement one for ya. ;Sweet
Good to hear no one got hurt 'cept Big Ed.
Doing body work right now and that just made me cringe.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I had a couple of estimates done yesterday, it looks like about $1800.00 worth of damage. The Insurance company is going to send out there estimator after the holiday and see what they come up with.

I will try to get ahold of someone at the rally and see what is up with that gate,

gotta go, got some customers.
Darrin

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that should buff out but if not i have 5 tailgates in various conditions.dont know what it would cost to ship it to you though.they are all factory ford tailgates i took off trucks that i junked.no aftermarket junk here.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now that i took a good look at the pictures i see the gate sucked the bed rails in at the top.if you were to get the gate opened/off they should pop right back if not you just gotta spread them a little to make them straight.easy enough to do with out sending it to the frame shop

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
I think it'll buff out.
Just a flesh wound!

[/Monty Python]

Seriously, Darrin, good to hear that it wasn't any worse than that. Losing a tailgate sucks, but it could have been a lot worse...

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
is he still your friend? :backoff

took another look at the pics, boy sorry to see Ed take that kind of hit. hope he gets fixed better than new. ;Sweet

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Looks like only the tailgate was damaged. Pretty lucky! Bumper looks untouched...

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
The trailer had no operable brakes that usually would lock up the brakes stoping the boat.

It looks like it has a master cylinder sitting on the tongue. I guess the surge brakes woulda worked better if they'd done maintenance on the wheel cylinders. They tend to rust up pretty quick unless you do aggressive maintenance. Too bad, Darrin. Just remember the old saw...No good deed goes unpunished!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
darrin-
by the looks of that boat size, you are blessed that it didn't start whipping you from side to side. You wouldn't be here telling us about it. When the load stays straight, you are still able to keep control. Once it starts whipping, you are just along for the ride. I wouldn't be suprised one bit that the bed itself may be tweaked a little, but it doesn't look too bad overall.