Well This Sucks,.....

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
have 5 tailgates in various conditions.dont know what it would cost to ship it to you though.they are all factory ford tailgates

Thanks Rich, Got any in red...? Let me know what you got, and how much it would be. I am working on a couple of other leads as well. Maybee some pics.

i see the gate sucked the bed rails in at the top

Yup, It got sucked in so good that I think a Dodge truck cap would fit niceley ;Sweet
I talked to a buddy of mine that does body work, and he said no problem straighting it out, no structure or buckling, just a cracked tailight.

Just a flesh wound!
:rotflmao

Thats Funny!, My boy's and there friends qoute Monty Python all the time,...!

is he still your friend?
I use the term loosley,..but Yes,..

Looks like only the tailgate was damaged. Pretty lucky! Bumper looks untouched...

I couldn't beileve that either, the tounge went low, under the truck, I thought the ***** or something would have hit the bumper, glad it didn't, just installed it last year.

It looks like it has a master cylinder sitting on the tongue. I guess the surge brakes woulda worked better if they'd done maintenance on the wheel cylinders. They tend to rust up pretty quick unless you do aggressive maintenance. Too bad, Darrin. Just remember the old saw...No good deed goes unpunished!

Thanks Montie, The Maser cylnder is completely empty so no brakes at all. The trailer has seen no maintence, that is why the boat is for sale, they need the money, and if you cant afford the boat it will see no maintence.

by the looks of that boat size, you are blessed that it didn't start whipping you from side to side. You wouldn't be here telling us about it. When the load stays straight, you are still able to keep control. Once it starts whipping, you are just along for the ride.

The more I look at it,the more that I realize how blessed I am that nothing else happened. I drove the truck and boat about 20 miles at 65 on the highway, and had no problems. Then in the morning I went from my shop to the auction, about a 4 mile drive at 45 MPH. That is when it happened, no traffic, no high speeds, all by myslef. It could have been real bad! just shows you how God watches over his dummies...

Thanks again guys,..
Darrin

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
On a Good Note, There is a possibility that I will be getting a new paint job out of this whole deal, we will see how the Insurance works, but the buddy that I talked to said he will fix the damage and get me a good paint job for aournd $1800.00. I just need to get him a tailgate, he will fix the rest of the damage, and paint the whole truck, I am thinking sky blue,...?...just kidding,...

Along with the paint job, I have a bunch of other parts for the truck that I have been waiting to install Hee, Hee,....

So if it works out, be ready for Big Ed's Extreme Truck Makeover!

I have been wanting to say that for a long time, and now it may actually happen.

stay tuned,.....

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
On a Good Note, There is a possibility that I will be getting a new paint job out of this whole deal,
So if it works out, be ready for Big Ed's Extreme Truck Makeover!

I have been wanting to say that for a long time, and now it may actually happen.

stay tuned,.....

I was thinking the same thing earlier today burning metal on The Gold one. :D

Nice call.... Maybe twas meant to be. :rolleyes:
A word of advice on the makeover......Winter time. ;Sweet
94 degrees in shade working today. ;Really

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
A word of advice on the makeover......Winter time.
94 degrees in shade working today

I Hear ya, however I have an air condition shop big enough for a full size School Bus plus 6 cars, I know because we did it last night! Gosh I'm spoiled,...!

The painting will happen at my buddy's garage, in his paint booth, them moved back to my shop for assembling. Just have to work out the timing when it works for him, and make shure that I have the truck for our rally, it may start after that.

Has anyone made contact with the guys at the rally yet about the tailgate? I have had no luck so far, I don't have Mel's new cell number.

Darrin

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whew, I'm glad you didn't get hurt or wreck the truck. I regularly tow a 20' Critchfield, for those who don't know that is like a Cobia hull, just old. She probably tips teh scales at 3000lbs M/T but I have never had any problems stopping her. I did leave teh 1 7/8 ball on there which could ahve caused a similar incident but thankfully it did not. Just a reminder for all of us to BE CAREFUL towing. And its good that God does watch after His children cause we all make mistakes, but I don't see how this one was dumb on your part Darrin. Luckily you aren't hurt and there isn't much damage to ED.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
It could have been real bad! just shows you how God watches over his dummies...

Thanks again guys,..
Darrin

Amen! I found that out on Tuesday w/ my trailer.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:shocked: :shocked: Whoa, that's some scary stuff right there!! Really glad you are alright! Musta had to change your shorts when you saw the boat trying to get in the cab with yah!!
We were showing pics of your mishap at the meet and greet this evening...everyone was in disbelief! (Having a great time by the way, wish ya'll coulda made it)
I'm sorry Darrin; I didn't end up bringing the tailgate with me as no one seemed to show much interest in it on the "Boob". It's brand new primed tailgate with no guts that I bought from Travis. (Still in the box actually) Unfortunately it is an aftermarket tailgate though. Let me know if you want it, it shouldn't be too hard to ship as it is already boxed up.
Again glad you're alright...gotta admit though (can say it since I know you're ok) it's pretty cool how you got that almost perfect "V" of the bow of that boat in your tailgate! :eek: Look forward to seeing and hearing about the new and improved Big Ed!! :thumbsup:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
I Hear ya, however I have an air condition shop big enough for a full size School Bus plus 6 cars, I know because we did it last night! Gosh I'm spoiled,...!

The painting will happen at my buddy's garage, in his paint booth, them moved back to my shop for assembling. Just have to work out the timing when it works for him, and make shure that I have the truck for our rally, it may start after that.

Darrin

:eek: AIR CONDITIONED! :backoff
Let me know if'n ya need some practice on reassembly. I got one you can practice one. :Sly

:rotflmao

obinella

Reaction score
69oiler said:
is he still your friend?
hummm, OK theirs a question thats just begging to be ask. did you forget to remember to lock the coupler latch? not being accusatory here as i have done that once myself, luckily the safety chains crisscrossed under the tongue held the tongue up and kept the trailer from over running the truck. o by the way , i don't see said chains on your friends trailer, could this have contributed to the demise of your t-gate? its the towie's responsibly to insure all safety gear is in place.if it's not--just say no!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Whoa, that's some scary stuff right there!! Really glad you are alright! Musta had to change your shorts when you saw the boat trying to get in the cab with yah!!
We were showing pics of your mishap at the meet and greet this evening...everyone was in disbelief! (Having a great time by the way, wish ya'll coulda made it)
I'm sorry Darrin; I didn't end up bringing the tailgate with me as no one seemed to show much interest in it on the "Boob". It's brand new primed tailgate with no guts that I bought from Travis. (Still in the box actually) Unfortunately it is an aftermarket tailgate though. Let me know if you want it, it shouldn't be too hard to ship as it is already boxed up.
Again glad you're alright...gotta admit though (can say it since I know you're ok) it's pretty cool how you got that almost perfect "V" of the bow of that boat in your tailgate! Look forward to seeing and hearing about the new and improved Big Ed!!

Thanks Eric, I wish we were there also, then the boat thing wouldn't have happened, Just enjoy the weekend, and when you get back home give me a shout and we will get together about the tailgate.
Glad you are having a good time!

AIR CONDITIONED!
Let me know if'n ya need some practice on reassembly. I got one you can practice one.

Yes you do, I'm not gonna go that far though :hail I do want to see it, maybee I will call you tomorrow, I have to go to Kalamazoo to deliver a BMW, and then to Schoolcraft to pick up a Van, We see how the morning goes.

hummm, OK theirs a question thats just begging to be ask. did you forget to remember to lock the coupler latch? not being accusatory here as i have done that once myself, luckily the safety chains crisscrossed under the tongue held the tongue up and kept the trailer from over running the truck. o by the way , i don't see said chains on your friends trailer, could this have contributed to the demise of your t-gate? its the towie's responsibly to insure all safety gear is in place.if it's not--just say no!

I actually take full responsibility for the mishap, Yes He did hook up the boat to my truck, however I didn't verify close enough that the latch was secure. It was my truck and I should have double checked him, but I didn't. The trailer doesn't have safety chains, they are cables, (kinda hard to see in the pics) and they did there job. I have been towing stuff all of my life for one buisness or another, and this is the first time this has happen to me, hopefully the last!

Hope to hear from the appraiser tomorrow, but it will probablly be after the holiday, in the mean time I am checking on parts.

Later,
Darrin

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Don't worry Darrin.I did the same thing when I borrowed a trailer to get my Pinto race car.My buddy guided me in and hooked it up but forgot to latch the hitch.....well,he also forgot to hook the Chains too.Luckly it was nose heavy as all get out so it stayed attached.But it wasn't a good feeling to see that latch up and the chains swinging.

obinella

Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
I actually take full responsibility for the mishap, Yes He did hook up the boat to my truck, however I didn't verify

Later,
Darrin
men that hold them selves responsible for there own actions are rare in this world. your a good man Darrin

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
Yes you do, I'm not gonna go that far though :hail I do want to see it, maybee I will call you tomorrow, I have to go to Kalamazoo to deliver a BMW, and then to Schoolcraft to pick up a Van, We see how the morning goes.

Darrin,
Just give me a shout on the cell. I have 2 weeks off to get this thing done and am a hollarin' at the parts guy for my door. -cuss

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I had a trailer ball nut back-off on me on my Ohio to Arkansas to St. Louis - Cadet flat bed and grainmaster hoist. We stopped for fuel and dad came around the side of the van and said I better go have a look. I was on with one round of threads, we tightened it up and kept a real close eye on it. The thing tried to loosen several times, even though we REALLY tightened it with a 2 foot long breaker. I stopped at a shop that I saw had a welder and ask if I could use it for a minute. Tightened the nut up tight and welded about an inch, no more loosie on the way home.

Glad no one was hurt, trucks can be fixed, so you were blessed. Bet you check/recheck/recheck again everything for a while after that though... ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darrin, sorry to see that happen. I can relate. Had the same thing happen to the Moose Truck twice in its life, but neither resulted in significant damage. Suzi says hi, and we miss you guys down here.