Well she did it to me!

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Dad's got a ford tractor book and in it there's a pic and article about a flathead V8 conversion for the 8N. the pic shows the 8n with a Ford flathead with stacks up each side straight off the manifolds. author says the sound is awesome and that the tractor will wheelie so easy its scary.;Sweet

i guess the V8 conversion and also a straight 6 convesion were popular back in the day.

i will restore the 8N later in life. for now i have a 1961 Massey Ferguson TO35 (also in the family since new, owned by an uncle) for chores around home. way more tractor than the 8N power-wise but ergonomics suck royally on the MF :puke: compared to the Ford.:thumbsup:

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know about the IDI in a 8n ford but the guy I did some work for last year has an Isuzu diesel and 5 speed bolted to to the tranny in his 50's farmall with a tricycle front end. cookoo cookoo cookoo He claims it will do 60 mph I really dont think I want to be anywhere near it when it does.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know about the IDI in a 8n ford but the guy I did some work for last year has an Isuzu diesel and 5 speed bolted to to the tranny in his 50's farmall with a tricycle front end. cookoo cookoo cookoo He claims it will do 60 mph I really dont think I want to be anywhere near it when it does.

Dayum.....Turn the steering wheel a hair too fast and get ready for a really bad day:eek:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I've seen some purdy sweet flat head configs on the 8N.;Sweet

Well tonight I gave it a shot before trying to dig in too deep as the snow was coming down worse than cats and dogs.
The dang truck lit right off on the first shot, bout a 2 second crank on the key.cookoo
That totally threw me off now.:confused:
Wondering still bout the batteries tho, 2 days setting versus 1 day....
Still gonna opt for the battery maintainer priority one.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yeah the I6 and V8 conversion were pretty sweet to bad the rear ends coundn't handle the extra power in stock form they were pretty underpowered but they can mow grass just fine as for the truck 13.5 volts sounds low with no current draw a slow start could be the problem but usually when batteries are bad one day in the colds as good as 10 I'm just wondering if your GP relay could be going out or just stuck the other day I know the one on my stroke sometimes sticks and I either have to cross the terminals or smack it to get it to engage

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
The I6 and V8 convertions were often done by Funk, as far as the I4 being underpowered...it's a tractor :)

My '06 Kubota has an IDI :hail :shoot:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well i guess your truck is just a piece of junk... You're going to need to let someone like me take the hunk of junk (it's warm in florida, or so i'm told) :D ;p

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
The I6 and V8 convertions were often done by Funk, as far as the I4 being underpowered...it's a tractor :)

My '06 Kubota has an IDI :hail :shoot:

i guess a few more ponies wouldnt hurt but the I4 does OK for the size of the 8N chassis. what it really need is high/low range gearing. this was also available aftermarket and i'd love to find one.

as far as an IDI in an 8N, they can handle front end loaders just fine so i imagine the weight of the IDI wouldnt be an issue, aside from the Armstrong steering. i doubt the axles and trans could take the abuse. also on the 8n the engine block is the frame of the tractor, not sure how to get around that with the IDI

tractors are fun.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
yaric008 said:
Well i guess your truck is just a piece of junk... You're going to need to let someone like me take the hunk of junk (it's warm in florida, or so i'm told) :D ;p

:rotflmao You funny man!

A good laugh for y'all. I pulled into the fire department last night waiting for the snow to subside, cause I couldn't see past to hood. :eek:
Well one of my deputy buddies cussed me out cause I parked right besides him and he told me to move my gay truck away from his squad then had the nerve to ask me to brush his car off.:rotflmao
I got my laugh as he was trying to leave and got stuck in the drive.LOL

Mel you been spreading the word up here.:backoff

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
69oiler-

I'm not sure how well the front ends handle the weight, we have a 9N that had a loader on it and it is sadly falling apart and rewelded several times, gonna get parted probably :(

As far as the high/low, look for a sherman underdrive, I believe they had an overdrive too, but the underdrive is more usefull, this thin goes plenty fast in 4th to make me soil my shorts on a bumpy road :eek:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yeah i find 1st gear is not slow enough for some ground engaging attachments. i lay wire with a sub-soiler and you can't get the tractor slow enough to feed the wire sometimes if the ground is hard. 4th will get you up to 15 mph or so, how much faster do you need to go.

my MF 35 has a high/low range and 3 forward speeds/1 reverse. works good. low 1 is truly a creeper.

i have never used an 8N with a loader but my buddy has a MF 30 which looks just like the 8n and it has a loader. can you say "needs power steering"
his front axle seems ok but i'll check it for welds.

RedTruck

Reaction score
C'mon now.

You old IDI boys have to remember this thing:

Clicky

Not quite an 8n or 6.9 but it's real close.

Paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the first twin pump GM IDI we've seen. Very nice though. Looks like a very high quality of worksmanship. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online