Well she did it to me!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yep, cold weather, not getting the battery maintainer and relays setup this weekend(Mr. duties took precedence) Goldie let me down.
6 cycles on the GP's and cold drained batteries she said NO WAY! :***:

I have hence renamed her the Big Blue B!t*h.:kick:

Yeah I had to jump start the ole gal with the 8N and it's only 17 F and still took about 30 minutes to get enough juice in the batteries to do the trick.
I'm kinda also leaning towards turning the pump back a wee bit for the winter months as the next couple of weeks here are looking to be lingering in the teens/ low 20's.

Ya I know it's Michigan and prolly a month from now it will be in the 50's.cookoo
Guess I'm gonna have to accelerate my project cause she's not gonna cooperate I'm sure by the end of this week when it gets to a high of 10F.
Ok, I'm done venting.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
sounds like I would forget the battery stuff and fix your GP's it should only take one cycle of the GPs to start

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I agree you got something going on with the GP's man... something just isn't right there... the E would start on one cycle of the plugs in the coldest of weather and you're not that much further north of me so you can't be that much colder...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well, I haven't run a continuity test on the Gp's yet but I am getting a 12 second burn on the WTS light and can definitly see the controller cycling thru the voltmeter readings afterwards.:confused:

On edit:
I must add that the IP is turned up just bout to the max.
Hence increasing fuel....advancing timing correct?
Ok, when I broke things down last spring to do the resto, the pump and housing were notched for reinstall since Mel gave her a checkup on the timing meter.
Possibly timing got nudged a wee bit further advanced upon reinstall and could also be a factor due to the weather.
I plan to check that as well tomorrow along with the GP's but look SO forward to it in these temps........Need a heated shop.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sure you crankin fast enough? my trucks have never needed more than one cycle on a good set of glow plugs even in the single digits......just spray some either :D

side note, 8N tractors are awsome i almost bought one but went with a IH cub for the belly mower.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
how did you jump off an 8n, unless you have a 12v conversion

dad still has and uses the 8n his dad bought new in 1950

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'd say it's the starter or batts, or both.

I did the batterycable.coms, new batts, and still would turn kinda slow. When I removed the starter, the brushes were SHOT, I mean out to lunch. One was not even making contact with the commutator. It worked untill temps got to about 10 degrees. Then the problem reared it's head. I brought it to a local rebuild guy, $30 later, it turns faster than I ever thought it could.

I started it on Sun AM for church @ -18, no block heater. It fired within 2 seconds of hitting the starter.

On a side note, the 85 is in need of the same treatment. The block heater decided to stop working. She turns to slow to try it without the BH.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not the timing. I agree with the group. Cranking speed and glow plugs.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
how did you jump off an 8n, unless you have a 12v conversion

dad still has and uses the 8n his dad bought new in 1950

;Sweet Nice catch. Yep got the 12 volt conversion and it's a 51 and a little work horse too.

I'm gonna try the battery maintainer and check the GP's tonight pending weather conditions.
Starter is only a year old and the battery cables are in good condition.
I'm afraid that the batteries only being 2 1/2 years old may be the culprit cause once I got it started, voltmeter jumped right back up to 13.4 volts after the controller stopped cycling.:mad:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
13.5 should be the min voltage on a running engine. it should be closer to 14.5 especially if that is after it lifts the electrical load.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Plug it in, Plug it in,...
:moon:
Haha funy one dude.
Sound like you and Bob need to stop watching tv during the day and do some work.....Oh yeah I forgot you got him running the snow blower.:hail

I've only seen 13.6v in warmer weather, kinda wondering if the voltage regulator I replaced this summer may be giving me fits.... Great, one more thing to check.:idiot:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
At least the 8N started! Ours won't start below 40 degrees cookoo :rotflmao guess it needs a new engine ;Sweet
Yeah they are pretty tempermental. It did start hard but ya gotta love them updraft carbs in cold weather. :rolleyes:
Wonder if the front end could support an IDI.....Hmmmmm.:D