Weighing the Options

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey yall this is my first time posting to the forum but it has been very helpful in the last few weeks. Anyway i have bought a very nice 1988 f250 2wd with a dealer installed banks turbo im the third owner and want to make this truck perfect again. BUT. The motor has a lot of blow by and some fueling issues. I estimate almost 400 or 500 thousand miles on it. I can either try to bandaid this motor while i rebuild another motor with some goodies (better turbo arp head bolts bull moose pump etc). or try to restore the motor in the truck now any opinions on it.

Attachments

• 20151025_150126.jpg
    20151025_150126.jpg
    977.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20151025_150059.jpg
    20151025_150059.jpg
    1,008.7 KB · Views: 35

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice truck...didnt know that silver blue ever came with red interior mines a blue interior.

If you qre confident it will last whike you rebuild one that would likely be best

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure it will last this is my first diesel, from my friend who knows and loves these trucks he said I would I might just go ahead and build a motor. and i believe it was repainted the door jams have a slightly different hue

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking rig too. I'm guessing it has a 5 speed trans. Do you know what type Banks turbo is on the engine? They made 3 different types and the last one is the better type. Its called the Banks waste gated sidewinder turbo. Blow by can be from several different issues but for the mileage it may be showing some age too. Might want to change the CDR valve. That allows the blow by to be sucked back into the intake. How do you know this engine has this many miles on it?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drive it till it dont drive no more!
have another block in the works while enjoying what you have for now.

if you really want th bull moose, please read up about it.
you can overfuel the engine really easy with these pumps.
ive done it, and taken the required steps.
now taking those steps further.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
god that is a clean interior! dont look like a 400k mile interior to me!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Build one while running the truck as is!,
These are mule tough, as long as its not your only transpo.
+1 on the read up on pumps!
Even a junior can overfuel some rigs! Mel builds a great product, we sometimes install the wrong unit without the corect upgrades.

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone the truck is in great shape the turbo system is the non sidewinder and has the roadmaster turbo with the large banks box on the intake and yes 5speed. and thanks for the info on the pump on the new motor i want to go slightly bigger on everything. larger injectors arp headstuds run 14ish lbs of boost and a bigger pump not wanting to go crazy just put the pep back in its step

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
From a Pm between me and Mel.

Unless you plan to intercool, I wouldn't go any higher than a Moose Junior. That's a lot of fuel for an N/A engine, so don't delay in getting the turbo. Also make SURE you have a good pyrometer like the Isspro we sell. It's cheap insurance. - Mel

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I planned on going intercooled with a better turbo than I have now. I'm ordering a boost gauge and Pyrometer here soon for my current rig the turbo already has ports for the gauges so no need for drilling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk