water pump

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready for a trip this weekend and discovered that my oilpan and axle are covered in antifreeze. (so is everything else under the truck)

I think it is either the lower rad. hose or the water pump.

So how long does it usually take to swap the water pump on a stock 7.3 w/ air?

trying to decide wether to dive in or drop off at the shop tomorrow since we are leaving Saturday morning with a stock trailer.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fan clutch nut wrench is going to be the decideing factor on how long the job is. Most parts stores will rent the tool for this. The pump replacement will tak around 2 hours depending on how tuff the gasket is to remove. Its not a hard job but there is things that need to be known before you attemp this. The top two bolts are depth specific. If they reach in too far they touch the injection pump gear and that makes a big mess of the gear. The top and bottom two bolts need a thread sealant on them because they reach the oily side of the motor. Oil will leak out past the tight bolt threads. Ask me how I know this.....:mad: The vacuum pump and alternater needs to come off but nothing on the other side of the motor. The fan shroud needs to come off too. Too bad you don't have a serpentine belt setup. Then all you have to do is install one belt. No adjusting several belts... Ever....:D Use 3M yellow weatherstrip cement to glue the gasket to the pump. Then a thin film of rtv on the other side and it done...

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the bolts. I am sure i would have screwed that up.

Wife works at a parts store so the nut wrench is no prob, and my truck does have the serpentine belt.

Where do you get the 3m weather strip glue?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Where do you get the 3m weather strip glue?

Parts store should have the gorrilla snot as well. That 3m stuff has been around forever It used to go by fast tack trim adhesive The trim or weatherstrip glue is about the same stuff now. I haven't used that trick in about 30 years ( used to use that on Jeep axle pumpkin covers all the time ), but it is pretty effective if you want to keep a gasket from moving on you while trying to get it in position.

Or you can just use RTV on both sides and start a couple of bolts through the WP and gasket to keep it all lined up. Makes it easier to find the first couple of holes that way anyways and once you have 2 started the rest will be in position and the gasket won't move.
If the plate on the engine where the WP mounts is pitted heavily, use a LOT of RTV on that side to fill in the gaps and make sure to let it sit overnight to cure before adding coolant RTV needs to cure before putting liquid to it and if you rush it, you will likely end up with leaks