Water pump sealing

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What's the best trick for sealing a new water pump on a ratty timing cover plate?
Had my engine together and went to pressure test and water came shooting up behind the pump, bum timing plate, it was pitted real bad and wallowed out a bit. Pulled it off, I had a spare, It's at least straight, but still a bit pitted.

So what's the best way to fill that much gap, silliyscum with the gasket like the Haynes manual says, or......

Thanks----------Robert

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Grey permatex RTV should do the trick...I would recommend not filling it with coolant for atleast 6hrs to let it setup...Clean, clean, clean before you put it on. Use a wire wheel or sandpaper to scuff it up some and make it rough so it will adhere well to the aluminum. We use that stuff on just about anything on a Freightshaker, damn good it is as long as the surface prep was good.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the mating surfaces are squeaky clean.
I've had good luck with the black Permatex for the water pumps on these ole buggers.;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I worked the snot out of both sides of it with a wire wheel so it's clean as it's going to be ;Sweet
Picked up a couple of tubes of gray rtv . I'll pop that sucker on and let it set up overnight.

Thanks----------Robert

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason Permatex (Ultra Black) just seems to grab onto surfaces better than the other sealants I've used over the years. It has more body and is alot more stick than the other silicons.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, I went through a tube and a half of the stuff. It's on there rather generously. On the pitted surface, I went ahead and basically finger panted the mating surface smooth with silliscum and leveled it out before setting the gasket and pump on and torquing it down which led to a nice small even rolled bead of silliscum around the edge of the pump after torquing that ought to cure nicely. With any luck at all, I got it this time. I'll find out tomorrow afternoon

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hylomar will fix it for sure. I usually use permatex copper plus. It has never let me down. I use it for the oil pan gaskets without a failure in over 15 years of use.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hylomar will fix it for sure. I usually use permatex copper plus. It has never let me down. I use it for the oil pan gaskets without a failure in over 15 years of use.

Actually Hylomar works better when the mating surfaces aren't so far out of whack it's not designed to take up that much slack. I used Hylomar racing formula on the first attempt that leaked like a sieve ( normally, that's all that I use, I usually don't even keep silliscum around )

It looks like my silliscum/putty job worked. i filled it with water and hooked up my pressure test rig and put 15 psi to it and no leaks ( I run Evans with a zero pressure system, so if it holds 15 I'm happy )
Now to see if I can get the thing stuffed back in this weekend ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle