Water pump gasket using RTV or other sealant?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I grumbled about in the "What did you do to your truck today" thread, my new water pump came with a torn gasket in the bag. I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon for a new one. The old one was super-hard, really stuck to the front cover, and had RTV red smeared on the pump side of it.

It occurred to me that RTV, Hylomar, Permatex Aviation Sealant, Form-A-Gasket, etc. could be used to seal the machined surfaces and eliminate the gasket entirely.

Has anyone done this successfully (i.e. no coolant leaks)? I've decided to wait for the replacement gasket, but still wondering about other options.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't trust just gasket maker by itself. Always use the gasket material that is recommended. I use a very slight film of sealer on the gasket just to guard against any imperfections on either side of the castings.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you can do away with the water pump gasket entirely. When I did my water pump, I used the gasket it came with and Aviation Form-A-Gasket on both sides of the water pump gasket, plus grey RTV on the 4 special bolts. Been almost a year now and still no leaks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My expericance tells me anything under the heat and pressure our cooling system is SHOULD have a gasket. On all my idi gaskets besides the head gaskets get a thin film of sealer of my choice. I like permatex ultra copper plus. The rear crank oil seal plate no longer has a gasket.. Just like the oil pan. Never had it...Never will.But of course we can purchase a oil pan gasket. But please don't use one. they guarantee will leak..then you pull the engine to replace it.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The latest goops are very good. Like the right stuff already mentioned as well as the mega grey,mega black etc. Just don't use the old skool blue that always leaked. Both surfaces must be clean and dry. 1 drop of whatever will cause a leak.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll stay with a gasket. Got a good Felpro one today. Planning on a film of Permatex High-Tack on the pump side, and maybe a smear of Hylomar on the cover plate side so it'll come off again some day.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elephant snot....aka avaiation form a gasket.....I put that ahit on everything...

Best advice I offer...

Clean...then

Clean...then seeing its NOT ACTUALLY CLEAN

CLEAN...AGAIN.

think of a wound...if u get a cut and keep it clean it heals...but if u dont it swells gets ***** and leams

Well the slightest bit of finger oil or contaminent makes it so the sealer wont seal...amd YOU WILL get a leak...

Every surface has to be better than surgically clean and sterile.

Just saying

Did I mention clean

Btw....i do NOT have leaks...EVER

JM7.3CW Eh!

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elephant snot....aka avaiation form a gasket.....I put that ahit on everything...

Best advice I offer...

Clean...then

Clean...then seeing its NOT ACTUALLY CLEAN

CLEAN...AGAIN.

think of a wound...if u get a cut and keep it clean it heals...but if u dont it swells gets ***** and leams

Well the slightest bit of finger oil or contaminent makes it so the sealer wont seal...amd YOU WILL get a leak...

Every surface has to be better than surgically clean and sterile.

Just saying

Did I mention clean

Btw....i do NOT have leaks...EVER

JM7.3CW Eh!
Like this? :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Started with a wire wheel, from there I hosed it down with brake-kleen. Then I broke out the coffee filters and rubbing alcohol and kept scrubbing until the filters came back clean, same method I use for cleaning computer CPU's and heatsinks. It's not overkill if it works ;)

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a razor blade knife and gasket remover spray... then wiped a couple times with chlorinated brake cleaner (and picked off any remaining spots). It doesn't look near as pretty as your front cover but it's not leaking :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online