Water pump gasket using RTV or other sealant?

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll stay with a gasket. Got a good Felpro one today. Planning on a film of Permatex High-Tack on the pump side, and maybe a smear of Hylomar on the cover plate side so it'll come off again some day.

If you ever do get stuck and have to rely solely on a silicone gasket then a good trick is to get an even smear on one surface and let it "skin off" for 10 - 15 minutes before assembling ..... been doing this on old english cars for years as the castings deteriorate over 60 odd years to the point that the oe paper/cork gaskets never had a chance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you ever do get stuck and have to rely solely on a silicone gasket then a good trick is to get an even smear on one surface and let it "skin off" for 10 - 15 minutes before assembling ..... been doing this on old english cars for years as the castings deteriorate over 60 odd years to the point that the oe paper/cork gaskets never had a chance.
have used this technique many times. Also have owned 11 Austin Healeys in my teens and early twenty's... Long time back really..

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The latest goops are very good. Like the right stuff already mentioned as well as the mega grey,mega black etc. Just don't use the old skool blue that always leaked. Both surfaces must be clean and dry. 1 drop of whatever will cause a leak.

Used the old blue loctite (don't remember the number) for years never had a leak. Some of the repairs were in service for 5+ years.

Light film and let it firm up for 10 minutes, assemble, let sit for a few hours and away I went.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have used this technique many times. Also have owned 11 Austin Healeys in my teens and early twenty's... Long time back really..

Today i had a 68 triumph herald in ..... should have taken a couple of pic's of it. Customer complained of noisy gearbox and a notchy feel to the shift ........ what little oil that was in it had turned to sludge!!! - this guy could teach fish a thing or two about being a tight **** :) as he just wanted it flushed out and filled up again. Bit of 80/90 and some lucas oil stabiliser and it's back on the road until the next thing falls off or breaks :Thumbs Up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online