Water pump.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright folks my water pump finally went on me today, got a couple questions. First off what's the easiest way to remove my fan?
I think I remember hearing to RTV my pump bolt threads?

Pump bolt torque specs?

Do I use RTV to seal my new pump?

Do I need to drain my radiator or just loose some out the pump.

Thanks much.

Any other tips are welcome

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Some thoughts -

Get your whole cooling system ship shape. Overheating will kill a great engine!

Replace your thermostat with a Motorcraft one while you are in there.

Yes some of the bolts go into the crankcase, they need to be sealed, RTV will work fine.

I used Gascacinch on my seal, will let other weigh in on what they like to use.

Check your fan clutch to confirm tight and working right before you remove the fan. If not replace the fan clutch.

These trucks like good coolant with SCR, or you can have issues with cavitation down the road. I would drain out all the coolant. Flush out the engine (Your thermostat will be out for a change out.) and radiator with distilled water. Add all new coolant and add SCA or buy Fleet Charge with SCA already in it. Your good for a while after this.

Replace the hoses if you have not in the last 5 years. (Including the heater hoses.) Cheap insurance!

Read up on the fan removal in other threads, lot's of tips. Careful as some are reverse threaded as I recall. Others have said if you can break it a little free, add a little hot wax to the threads, it will help it come off the rest of the way. Mine came off without a fight but don't recall what I used.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got good coolant in it, fleet charge with SCA and mix with distilled water. Fan clutch is good.

Do I need to drain the radiator or can I just loose some out the pump when I remove it??

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also can't find the Peak brand fleet charge SCA added coolant I've been running at any stores near me. What's a good more available brand??

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan and clutch are off, only had a very small wiggle to it so I think it's fine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
You are going to have to pull the bottom radiator hose off the water pump anyhow. So just pull it at the radiator and let it drain. If you still see coolant in the block level with the holes for the water pump then blow some out of the block gently with air. You do not want to bump the truck, have some swish out, and cause your seal to faill as you are putting on the pump.

I use one of the black concrete mixing tubs from Home Depot when I want to catch a bunch of fluid.

If you have O'Rielly's Auto parts near you they can order Fleet Charge for you. Likely so can any name brand auto parts store. Likely for the same day or next day, or you could also order online. Some use green coolant and find SCA additive, then test with SCA strips. (But may not have that in stock either.) But I would try to get the Fleet Charge so you do not have to flush out the pink coolant from your engine, heater core, and block.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a lottle rtv on all the bolts and on thr pump and usually drain the system but in a pinch just refill with whatever you had in ot and add sca later there is still a bit on the system and id do the thermostat while your in it as for can happer and long chistle work for me unless I got my tools and ots reverse thread

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to have to pull the bottom radiator hose off the water pump anyhow. So just pull it at the radiator and let it drain. If you still see coolant in the block level with the holes for the water pump then blow some out of the block gently with air. You do not want to bump the truck, have some swish out, and cause your seal to faill as you are putting on the pump.

I use one of the black concrete mixing tubs from Home Depot when I want to catch a bunch of fluid.

If you have O'Rielly's Auto parts near you they can order Fleet Charge for you. Likely so can any name brand auto parts store. Likely for the same day or next day, or you could also order online. Some use green coolant and find SCA additive, then test with SCA strips. (But may not have that in stock either.) But I would try to get the Fleet Charge so you do not have to flush out the pink coolant from your engine, heater core, and block.
Just called oreillys a little bit ago and they said couldn't order it.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just got off the phone with multiple parts stores and they are saying it's not available anymore!!??. Cant even order it from Peak.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Thats odd, they show it on their website, I can have it local to my home store by 9am!!!! Take a look, can you see it online, can you have delivered to your home store?

Eitherway I would call back and ask for the guy who helped you. Then ask why its on your website but you cannot source it??? If he does give you an amazing answer its time to move up a level. Ask for the manager on duty, guessing he can will figure it out for you. If not order online for store delivery. But who knows maybe in your area there is some reason they cannot. (But I doubt that.)

I find calling retailers (Clothing, home improvement, outdoors, auto parts, plumbing, housewares, etc.) of any kind for help drops your odds of success by 70%. (Unless you give them a part number and they know how to do a inventory check.)

I have often found I call to ask do you have XYZ in stock? I get hold please, then sorry we do not have that in stock. Then I hang up but question if they even looked (Not looking is more common than you think.), did not know what to look for, did not know where in the store to look for it, or looked but missed it. (Did not see it, was put back in the wrong place, etc.) So if there is time I go look anyways, often I show up and whamoo its right there in stock!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Missed your second message when writting the above. FYI I also can get it next day on Amazon and see multiple online resellers still selling it.

Maybe they are right and due to less demand it's getting discontinued.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always buy the pink heavy duty precharged at Napa. It’s Napa branded. My local Napa always has it in stock, usually for about $15/ gal full strength. I did once pay close to $25 for some at one a couple hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bradd I use those Mixing Tubs also, work great to catch the Coolant w/o making a mess. I put a hose on the Pet **** to shoot it in the tub instead of it dribbling on the Core support etc... and picking up oil dirt etc... That is if you want to reuse it.

Works good when draining the Atf from an auto trans.

I searched on O`Reillye`s site and here is the Fleet Charge.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/brands/a/antifreeze-coolant/fleet-charge/afz/afzj?q=fleet+charge

NAPA caries the Fleet Charge also.

A few years back I walked in to order some kleen Strip wax and Grease remover. Kid said not available...
But we have Master Craft brand for $35. OK Thanks..
Looked up the their site and ordered the kleen Strip and picked it up in their store few days later. Around $23 plus tax. same stuff.

There are some good older people that know their stuff at our O`Reallys but there are the one`s that hold a $5 hr position of employment with that air of I know everything just ask me.....LOL

Just ordered 2 more couple weeks ago, same price.

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7