Water pump / fan info

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size is the fan clutch thread on the IDI water pump?

Are there any water pumps out there with a right hand thread?

Looking at a project to replace the POs stock fan clutch with an electomagnetic one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
None that fit our engines. Sadly the psd water pumps are a reverse rotation so they have a right hand thread that looks very close to our pump thread. I wanted to run a psd fan on my idi but nope.. Just wont pull air but it sure will push air the wrong direction..

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IHC commercial truck pumps are a 4-bolt affair for the clutch IIRC, not threaded on like pickups have. Your truck is already V-belted, so may be worth looking into that angle?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah, I was afraid of that. Does the serpentine belt setup also turn the same direction?

I think I'm going to build an air operated clutch - shouldn't that terribly hard. I had though for a bit I had an easier way out with the PSD type clutch but nope, no such luck.

Does anyone have a spare junk clutch they're willing to donate in the name of science?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aye, both V-belt and serpentine turn the same way. So clutches will interchange. Horton don't make anything small enough to bolt on the IHC industrial water pump?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't really looked at the IH industrial pump/fan. Not even sure what one looks like. Could be an issue getting the Ford pullies to line up too going that route.

The big reason I was looking at a PSD is that I found an electric clutch new for something like $250 - actually sort of affordable.

I may go ahead and get that one and try to adapt it to the idi thread.

I'm also looking into refilling the silicone fluid in the other clutch I have.

I had a stock type clutch that worked very well (kicked in about 210* and never had any issues) but it seems to have given up the ghost while I had the motor out for a rebuilt. The new aftermarket one I have seems to not kick in till about 225 which is hotter than I'd like, and doesn't seem as strong as the other one.

But really I want a full positive engagement type clutch that I can control. Someday.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
If you arent going to jump on that T444e electromagnetic clutch could you let me know where it is? I have wanted one for my PSD for years. I have one on a DT466 and it works good.

I've looked at this before, and had the Horton clutch apart, the only way to make it fit an IDI is to machine a new shaft w RH threads or use a DT466 shaft.

Reaction score
Does anyone have a spare junk clutch they're willing to donate in the name of science?

Yes, yes I do. Maybe we could barter for some timing assistance? *wink wink*

Seriously, though. I have my original clutch sitting in the garage. Just removed a couple weeks ago. I'm not even ENTIRELY sure it's bad, either.

Mike

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM,

Why do you bring up DT-466? Do they use the same LH fan clutch thread? Having had one apart, what do you think of the possibility of welding the clutch shaft to a stock fan clutch shaft? (ie, cutting both and splicing to make one shaft)

Mike, we'll be in touch. Just keep bugging me. LOL

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i know this is a little off topic but the 6bt guys have a little luck with this. there are some hortons floating around. my friends brother has a 1st gen dodge with a horton fan on it.. he said i can take it off and inspect, measure it...

so is the IH medium duty shaft the same basic 4 bolt pattern as a 6bt?

if it will fit in a dodge engine bay it should fit in ours

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so is the IH medium duty shaft the same basic 4 bolt pattern as a 6bt?

if it will fit in a dodge engine bay it should fit in ours
I've seen them in junkyards with the fans bolted solid to the pup via spacer, no clutch of any sort. As for the actual BCD on the mounting holes, that idk, never measured it.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After several hours of digging through various catalogs and such I have concluded that the early PSD fan clutch has the same dimensions as the idi except for a rh thread with a slightly different pitch. (1 1/4-18rh vs 1 1/4-16lh) What I am now contemplating is to machine out the thread on the clutch so that it's a sliding fit over the stock water pump threads and then weld on a plate that will match up with the 4 pulley bolts. I expect I'd probably need to convert the bolts over to studs since there's likely not enough clearance to get bolts on, but can anyone think of another reason this wouldn't work?

Garbage Mechanic, how hard are these to take apart? Does the input shaft come out easily?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how thick your flange is, there may very well be enough space for bolts to go in and out. 2 of mine currently hold 1/8" thick plates that lock the clutch to the water pump. The shape of the plates is such that they have to be installed after the clutch is on, or I won't be able to tighten the clutch on the pump.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after further looking it turns out there is a Horton electromagnetic clutch that *appears* to more or less be a bolt on for an IDI. Looks like certain DT466 tpye engines in the mid 90-mid 2000's use the same 1 1/4-16lh thread and fan mounting bolts as the idi. Only problem is that the Horton clutch puts the fan about 1 3/4" further forward and I don't think there's space for that, so some modification of the fan would be needed. Oh, and the $900 price tag....... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger