Water Leak Into Cab

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright fellas, before I go crawling under the dash I was wondering if there is a common entry point for water into the cabs of the bullnose trucks. Its leaking on the passenger side floor, where your feet would be if you were to sit there. This morning there was about a cup of water on the floor.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it’s not the heater core? I think the cowl can be a problematic spot, but I have had issues with replacement windshields in the top corners leaking, as well as clearance lights if you have them.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Nope, windshield is at least 15 years old. Only thing Ive done on that side of the truck is replace the heater core, but this is rainwater getting into the cab. Sounds like I need to just get under there and look around.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would. also on my truck this spring I had a leak on the bottom driverside of my windshield the gasket shrunk or something so I pulled the trim around the windshield and gave it a healthy bead of black rtv and it stopped the leak

Big Daddy John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my heater core earlier this year on my 93. The original had some sealant around the opening where the heater core passed through the firewall to the engine bay. I didn’t replace the sealant! Had a leak ever since! I’ve gotta take care of that! This may be an area to look at. Mine only leaks if I’m running down the road in a terrible down pour or if I’m parked going up hill!

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are drains on each side that get stopped up from debris. You will have to pull the kick panels and you will see on the sides a square panel with 4 screws. This is where vents would be if you did not have factory A/C. Behind these panels is a rubber drain that gets crud built up that has to be cleaned out with vacuum sometimes. They exit behind front fenders, in front of the doors (cannot get to them outside w/o pulling fenders or front clip). Reseal the square panels when you remount them.

cason234

Reaction score
I just had this on my 1995 Crew Cab...... wet carpet every time it rained. Foggy windows all winter long. Got to the point I was ready to sell my truck (and it's otherwise a spectacular condition vehicle!) I pulled the cowl cover off, and in behind there (where the windshield wiper mechanism resides), you'll likely see where the OEM seam sealer has deteriorated into large chunks that break away. It's where the firewall meets the cab itself. That's where the water is likely leaking in (or at least it was on my truck) I stripped away as much of that old sealer as I could, and applied a liberal bead of urethane caulking. I carefully smoothed it over so water couldn't sit anywhere in there (all the way to each side of the body where it goes vertical), and since then, not a drop of rain inside my truck. Dry as a bone, and no more wet carpet or musty smell. Took an afternoon, but it was sure worth it.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 what riphip said. The bullnose trucks have the large louvered cowl that lets lots of debris in and it eventually blocks the drains.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check at the bottom corner of the the windshield, this is where I had a leak on both sides. There is a seam that is sealed and the sealer dried out on my 86 f250.

I have searched so many times for that leak. Tried sealing over, etc but never able to fix it. I did take some screen wire, cut to fit under the cowl slots & used Vulkem stick it to the bottom of the cowl. Mine does still leak at that joint under windshield.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
riphip, my leak on the driver's side let the water rust a gap around the parking brake cable that I had to fix and it would soak the floor under the parking brake

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my heater core earlier this year on my 93. The original had some sealant around the opening where the heater core passed through the firewall to the engine bay. I didn’t replace the sealant! Had a leak ever since! I’ve gotta take care of that! This may be an area to look at. Mine only leaks if I’m running down the road in a terrible down pour or if I’m parked going up hill!

This and the cowl to hood seal...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online