Water in fuel.

Travis Horner

Reaction score
Looking for some answers for my engine problems, my 1991 ford 7.3 idi water in fuel light came on and I didn't pay attention to it. So one day I started it up and it ran at a rough idle and stalled and then it stalled 3 other ttimes. So then I got it going down the road and as I was driving it stopped running completely, at this point I hope the injector system isint screwed up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It probably isn't screwed, but you do have water in your fuel system and it won't burn. You should drain the water out of your fuel filter when this light comes on to avoid this issue. You now need to get the water out of your filter, pump and injectors. I've never had this happen to me so I really don't know how get the water out.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water will corrode the internals on your IP so get fresh fuel in there ASAP and run a bunch of ATF or other diesel lubrication through the tank.

To purge the water with the stock mechanical lift pump:
Loosen as many injector lines as you can reach at the injector. Just a 1/2 turn or so will break the seal. Take off the fuel filter and empty into Mason jar. Fill filter with aforementioned ATF/diesel lube, reinstall filter and then disconnect the fuel shutoff switch on the IP. Keep the advance one engaged, and crank the engine for a while to purge the IP. Dont crank longer than 20 seconds and wait a full 2+ minutes between cranking to save your starter.
I'd do this 2 or 3 times and tighten back down the injectors then run your normal start cycle and see if it fires.

I just realized that water will sink to the bottom in the IP... your best bet MAY be to pull the pentagonal plate on the passenger side of the IP end drain the fuel/water that way. Then crank to fill up the IP and reconnect the fuel shutoff switch.

Of course with an electric pump this is easier to fix...