Water in Fuel Light

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Where's the water sensor located in the fuel bowl of the 97's???

I keep getting the water in fuel light & have drained & flushed the fuel bowl 5 times now & their ain't no water in da fuel bowl.

However, there is always the posibility I got some bad diesel, except I only get my fuel at Flying J, so Ifin I got a bad batch, then so did lots and lots of people.

Was wondering if the water sensor could short out or otherwise go south & need replacement.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Rampy if I am not mistaken the sensor is in the bottom of the bowl, you can unplug it, lowest connection on the housing, under the dreaded fuel heater connection. At least that's where it is on my '95.

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
I believe that has a little square solid state box near the front of the engine that actually controls the light. It isn't that hard to look in the housing, why not use it for an excuse to replace the filter and actually see what is going on? While you are there use a mirror and look at the screen where the regulator attaches, they are frequently plugged.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
adrianspeeder said:
Should I worry bout drainin it if my light isn't on?

Adrianspeeder

I do, diesel will always have some mosture in it & I try to drain mine early in the AM when the fuel is seperated & floating on top of the water.

However, I also try to "power flush" the filter every month or 2 when it's running to hopefully flush an crud out as well.

BJS

Reaction score
adrianspeeder said:
Should I worry bout drainin it if my light isn't on?

Adrianspeeder

absoloutely the WIF sensor is not on the bottom of the canister so you have about an inch of water before the sensor will read it which is way too much for my taste. It also helps flush out any crud that the fliter caught that's dropped to the bottom of the canister.

There have been several guys w/ the 94-97 trucks where the bottom of the filter canister has corroded through from the inside out. And those are not cheap to replace.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
BJS said:
There have been several guys w/ the 94-97 trucks where the bottom of the filter canister has corroded through from the inside out. And those are not cheap to replace.

yep my buddy got to hunt a fire extingisher in a big hurry because of that... first time i ever heard of a fire starting that way, but i can confirm the results because i seen the truck with my own eyes

ford fixed it free of charge... he got it put out very quickly so it didn't mess up to much stuff (compared to what it could have)