Washer fluid mod?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone developed a modification for the washer fluid reservoir? I sweare mine only holds about a quart. I can't figure out why anyone would have ever designed a reservoir that holds less than a gallon.

Thanks,
Mark

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the only mod would be to replace it. But where to put a bigger one, that is the trick. LOL

Frankly, I wish I could fill it without opening the hood, and it needs a level gauge so I know it's low before it runs out.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that would be nice. Maybe putting a reservoir under the seat with a fill tube that angles up so that you just open the driver side door... Naa, too much of a pain for me, and probably too far for the pump to have to push/pull it. Maybe I can find a place to stick the one out of my half ton. I think it will at least hold half a gallon.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I think the only mod would be to replace it. But where to put a bigger one, that is the trick. LOL

Frankly, I wish I could fill it without opening the hood, and it needs a level gauge so I know it's low before it runs out.

Trav had a big ole washer fluid reservoir in the bed of the Enterprise.;Really

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought mine held about half a gallon when filled from empty, at least. It sure seems big.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Hrm. So mine is located right next to the coolant overflow reservoir...

Windshield washer fluid is as expensive as antifreeze and formulated much the same...and having heated washer fluid is a plus...how about rednecking an overflow from the coolant reservoir (gallon or two) into the windshield washer fluid system?

hrm....

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um...why would you want to spray antifreeze on your windshield? Washer fluid works because it has cleaning agents, and alcohol, so it evaporates. Antifreeze is made to not evaporate, it would smear all over your windshield and make a big mess.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Windshield fluid for cold climates uses Methanol, ethylene glycol, or propylene glycol as a deicer.....

And I've made my own washer fluid with diluted antifreeze - the green stuff - works fine.

Of course using engine temp windshield washer fluid on a very cold windshield is a recipe for disaster. I'm going to rig up a engine coolant heat exchanger for the washer reservoir one of these days...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that surprises me....every time I've gotten antifreeze on my hands, it was very slippery and messy.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
My recipe is something like this - kentucky windage in full effect:

1 gallon white cheap ass vinegar
1 gallon water
about a quart of undiluted antifreeze (also helps to keep it from freezing in the reservoir)

The vinegar is pretty amazing stuff at cleaning.

dieselrunner

Reaction score
Little off topic but...

Anyone seen that Trailor Park Boys episode where the washer fluid tank was filled with Rum and Coke, and routed into the cab? Kinda reminded me of that.

Continue...