Fox body overflow tank in an IDI?

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried putting a different coolant overflow tank on the driver's side of the fan shroud? I put the 46637 filter on and need to relocate my overflow tank. I saw an image of an 86-91 mustang overflow tank. It looks close, but I can't find the measurements. I would assume it holds less than 2 quarts. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the olden days, industrious young rednecks used a 2-3 liter coke bottle. Done correctly, it looks really classy.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, any bottle with the tube going to the bottom will work. You will have to experiment with the level in the bottle. The psi cap you are using will affect that along with the capacity of the cooling system(4 row, 3 row, 2 row radiator).

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any coolant tank will likely work, so long as it pulls from the bottom of the tank and allows the back and forth flow of coolant due to heat/expansion.

CCD has an aluminum one that you can purchase.

I retrofitted one off a late 90's jeep wrangler once, simply because it was tall/skinny like the space I was putting it in. A pair of worm drive hose clamps held it in place.

You can use coke bottles too, anything will likely work, so long as you have something.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC 30 dollar e-bay buy

Attachments

• 14706871_1507925885891181_735402413562404102_o.jpg
    14706871_1507925885891181_735402413562404102_o.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 27

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the same one as IDIoit, just haven’t installed it yet. Mine just dumps to the ground currently.
You must be registered for see images attach

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any coolant tank will likely work, so long as it pulls from the bottom of the tank and allows the back and forth flow of coolant due to heat/expansion.

I retrofitted one off a late 90's jeep wrangler once, simply because it was tall/skinny like the space I was putting it in. A pair of worm drive hose clamps held it in place.

You can use coke bottles too, anything will likely work, so long as you have something.
It's funny you brought up the jeep overflow. I ordered one of those this morning to measure it. I need to pick it up yet.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's funny you brought up the jeep overflow. I ordered one of those this morning to measure it. I need to pick it up yet
I ordered the same one as IDIoit, just haven’t installed it yet. Mine just dumps to the ground currently.
You must be registered for see images attach
does that have a sight glass in it? Do you have a link handy?

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny you brought up the jeep overflow. I ordered one of those this morning to measure it. I need to pick it up yet.
I don't remember the project anymore, but it fit where I needed it and did the job. Might have been 10 bucks at the pick+pull, which was cheaper then any universal unit that I could find.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online