Was told the 6.9 I just bought is toast!

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may be right mr tow cat. I have never pulled an idi but you really have to twist and or spin the motor to gank it out? It looks like it would slide right out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I've said this before and again it will be stated,

experienced in engine swaps/pull/replacements since was 16yo kid and I personally have pulled well over 200 engines, as I used to work in auto wrecking so maybe have some insight!

Done it all stupid FWD cars, mini vans full size vans, PU, old cars you name it in regular automotive type environment...from yards to shops and all in between...

the key to a simple effective engine pull is to remove as much around the engine as you can, have complete access to said engine, and if going to pull it, and paint it....NOW you can super duper clean the inner fenders, rad support fire wall and frame and add some paint there...

PULL THE CLIP....it's the most efficient use of time bar none!

BAG and TAG all the bolts and where they go in the order they come out....so when you go to install it all you know that each consecutive bag is the next step!

JM2CW

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
This is just my 2 cent obviously, but here goes:

I've pulled and installed many engines myself, got started even before I could legally drive. I have NEVER pulled the clip on anything to do an engine swap until last year when I put the ZF/7.3 into my '85. I bought them still mated and wanted to put them in that way so the clip had to come off. No way getting that tranny and engine at enough angle to drop in over the grill.

I still have mixed feelings about the procedures. Pulling the clip is a lot more work, no question about it since it has to be reassembled correctly. But wow does it make engine removal, install and accessory hookup 100 times easier. I mean everything is right there. It also gives you an opportunity to clean the leaves, twigs, and dead stuff out of the cowl drains that hide behind the outer fenders at the lower cab.

Nothing at all broke for me, but if you have a high rust truck I could see this procedure being a deterrent. When I put mine back together I put anti-seize on everything so if I ever do it again it'll be that much easier.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had this debate with my coworker and good friend Dan, he just swapped engines in his 93, he didnt want to pull the clip but was SOOOO happy that he did. Engine swap was easier, found cracks rthat were repaired, cleaned cowling holes of crap, put in the new core support mounts. Also converted to ac and the fender off made it cake.

So pull the clip.
Also Towcat is right. If you drop one of these engines it will ruin several hundred dollars worth of parts, and if you try to stop it from falling some meaty parts might be damaged/missing.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
ummm I pull the hood.. radiator.. pull engine forward away from trans.. pull straight up and out. done.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thru life (many yrs) I've always found there is more than one way to skin a cat. But when you do have the engine in the bay and need more work to do on it, this is the way I do it. No hood latch punching the gut. Ya gotta have a cig hanging out the lips, keeps the nervous system calm.

Yeah and that video of rebuilding the oil cooler. What Idiot would ever do it like that. Lifting the truck to install the ends. :flipa :idiot: ::rotflmao

Attachments

• top side creeper1.jpg
    top side creeper1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 6
  • top side creeper2.jpg
    top side creeper2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 8
  • top side creeper3.jpg
    top side creeper3.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, all these thoughts and rational to remove engines different ways is what makes this place so cool. We each solve a situation by adapting in ways we find that work best for us, no one way is more correct than the other...they all have pros and cons, it's up to an individual to decide what is best for them....

Good luck however you choose, and take lots of pics and bag and tag all the bolts as I mentioned to assist you later, that is unless you can just from a pile of bolts know which ones are for what!