Want to regasket engine, just a few questions.

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, my truck runs fantastic ever since no mufflers did his magic with timing my IP. My friends who have owned diesels all their lives cannot believe how easy this thing fires. Better than any gas job they've owned is what they say.

I have no reason to pull the engine other than my front and rear main are leaking. It cant take all that long to pull this engine, I just cant see it taking forever.

While its out is there anything you would definitely replace even though your truck runs fantastic.

GP's are new
water pump is new
thermostat is new
belt is new
alternator is new
cdr valve is new.

Or are there any simple / effective / cheaper modifications you would do while its out?

I have a rental car at my disposal but id like to have this done in less than two weekends.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up the “7.3 cooling mod” I would also replace valve seals with 6.9 style seals. It’s cheap and pretty easy. It would be a good time to get some studs in, I sell the kit for $500 shipped. It’s an expensive piece, but for an idi with a turbo, it does a lot as far as reliability. You could install comp 910s as well.

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up the “7.3 cooling mod” I would also replace valve seals with 6.9 style seals. It’s cheap and pretty easy. It would be a good time to get some studs in, I sell the kit for $500 shipped. It’s an expensive piece, but for an idi with a turbo, it does a lot as far as reliability. You could install comp 910s as well.

If I was going to go that far as doing studs then I better put a turbo rebuild and cam in the budget too lmao

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can if you want, but the shop truck has a stock cam and a 200k mile stock turbo and performs really well. Every little bit helps, but just having studs I think is the best “performance” upgrade you can do to an idi, even though it doesn’t add any power, having the reliability to turn the boost up makes the truck into a whole other animal. I will rebuild my turbo and upgrade it maybe next year, but just pushing the stock turbo with a maxed out stock pump it is a very fun ride that puts a smile on my face every time I jump in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online