Want oppinions on the option of a MD truck...

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the wife and I are thinking its time to upgrade to at least a 1 ton that’s newer than the truck in my sig. Our current truck carries a 2 year old Citation Camper (top end Alpenlite competitor). Its 3000 lbs. dry which throws us about 1000lbs over the GVW on the truck when loaded WITHOUT a trailer. Our family is expanding so a 4 door is a must, but the trailer will only get heavier and heavier with toys. I’m not one for Duels, but the F650's look killer. I'm not sure if the camper would go on a medium duty even with the dually jack brackets on the front. I’m also not one for trading the camper on a 5er toy hauler, I just don’t want too sleep with stuff that leaks gas and I don't need floor space in the living quarters. I'd also like to keep the price tag under 30k.

So I’m looking for pro's and cons of jumping from a 1 ton too something bigger. And I also need to drive too work in something. Could get a cheap commuter, but then the truck would sit between trips. And that would **** me off. I'd also want to run bio in it...

Thanks.

Last edited:

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
You are better off trying to find a F-550 crew cab stay away from medium duty trucks they do not make good personal use vehicals. You will also run into a whole bunch of commercial truck rules you don't want to deal with.

You know 3000lbs isn't heavy even the camper fully loaded is 4000lbs which wouldn't even strain a F-350 cab and chassis truck or a dually P/U. I don't know how heavy your trailer is you never did say and its hard to tell without pictures on what you are trying to deal with.

I know a F-550 regular cab will easily handle 9000lbs I have loaded close to 11,000lbs on one so a 4000lb camper would just smooth out the ride.

A F-450 would probably do the job too they are good for 6000lbs legal payload.

If you do buy a 3 ton F-650 you will be looking at 300 dollars each for the cheapest 22.5" tires. The price of insurance is pretty high the truck will need a annual inspection (DOT). When it comes time to do the brakes on the truck your looking at 1000 bucks or more. If you want a automatic you will be looking at big bucks to replace that when it blows up. The list goes on and on.

Trust me you will be better off sticking with the light trucks or get a smaller camper because you will be looking for trouble getting a medium duty oh ya the F-series above the 550 are not that good.

Billysgoat

Rolling Smokeshow
Reaction score
Get a 450 or 550, have the cummins conversion done to it and be done with it. I say that with out rancor towards the PSD, good engine, but there is a lot more power available from the Cummins and they have no problems with BioDiesel.

Second on stay away from the 650's, way to much truck for what you want.