wanna know about IDIs

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah, I am not a FAN per say of the 6.0. I would take one, but I would not brag about it being the one in the vehicle I guess.

A buddy of mine got one and was asking me about it. He was surprised that all of the things I told him about you can get in a "package deal" for about a grand. I told him that it sucked that you had to purchase that on top of the vehicle to make it close to what it should be from the factory. Not only that, but then you have to do upgrades to get the average milage I get with a mechanical diesel. 18 by todays standards with computer controll is nowhere near good in my book. Espically since I do not have overdrive.

SWS

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
The 6.9 GPs are indeed 6V, hence the heat when they are fed 12 volts, as usual. The problem is timing. If you install a manual GP switch, you risk burning the GPs out if you keep the button pushed a second too long.

Crazy. Are the 7.3 plugs this way also? I know all about running only ZD9 Buru's in the 7.3. What does one want to be running in a 6.9? Is there a ZD9 with a spade connector?

Both 6.9's that I have owned have had Bosch plugs in them, including my current 84, now on a manual switch.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many on this site burn waste motor oil (WMO) for fuel in our idi pickups. They do it very well and the idi is probably one of the best platforms available in a light duty truck for burning WMO

To origin poster: check out the alternative fuel section for more info on burning WMO blends. As for parts, what kind of parts are you looking for?

anything spare, injectors, IP's, exhaust manifolds all that

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and when i said people like em more and more i meant the 6.4

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual tranmissions:
'83-86 Borg-Warner T19 (no overdrive) 4-speed
'87-94 ZF5 (overdrive 5-speed)

Auto's:
'83-???88 or 89?? not sure of the switch over.... C6 3-speed (no OD, non-locking TC)
'89-94 E4OD "computer" controlled 4 speed (OD, locking TC)

15W-40 oil. 10 quarts with standard filter, 11 with FL1995 PSD filter.

There is a tone of stuff about these IDI's in the FAQ's and the tech section. You can spend a good amount of time there, and it grows all the time.LOL

Heath

i got 5w40 thats a good lighter weight oil for winter right?...im assuming i will have to change for summer because the light weight oil wont lubricate well?

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol nah brad ill be buyin one soon, theres gotta be one that pops up in the area that isnt a dump truck or anything, i still havent gotten around to checkin out a 6.9 2wd flatbed. i really just want a 4wd flatbed, or a plain 4wd pickup. itll be a spare truck, pretty much just for haulin scrap and doin the grunt work.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and when i said people like em more and more i meant the 6.4

I'd rather have a 6.0 than a 6.4 anyday. After fixing HG, EGR, & oil cooler probs, they are a relatively bulletproof setup and have good power stock.
6.4's do have good power and are easy to crank up with just a tune but seems to me they just dont hold up like 6.0 bottom ends-plus ive seen pics of a few that fuel hydrolocked going down the highway due to stuck injectors- not pretty.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
job1 6.4s had the stuck injector issue, i believe. they also had cracked radiators, and sometimes a faulty EGR. i was talking to the tech down at ford and he told me flat out, hes been moving around from dealership to dealership as the shop manager i guess, and not that many 6.4s have been in there for anything other than service. and from what i keep seeing/reading, theyre alot more reliable than the 6.0, deleted of course.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
No way...that is bcause there are not as many 6.4s out there. I hacw not heard anything good about them. Pull the cab to start the work. Needs turbos, and the same EGR stuff as the 6.0. And, they are harder to fix, and more expensive.

SWS

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not from what ive personally heard, or seen, just talked to another fleet mechanic today, all 7.3s, 2 or 3 6.0s and the top notch guys get a 6.4. them 6.4s have been doin good. you gotta pull the cab ik it, but the turbo thing is way off, the turbos are totally different

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yes...You have to pull both of them at once when they screw up. In my buddies words, "Ford owes everyone who bought a 6.4, a new truck". He works on them BTW.

SWS

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No way...that is bcause there are not as many 6.4s out there. I hacw not heard anything good about them. Pull the cab to start the work. Needs turbos, and the same EGR stuff as the 6.0. And, they are harder to fix, and more expensive.

SWS

But Ford designed it so that the cab comes off fairly easily. Its one thing to pull the cab off to get to things, its another to pull the cab off that was designed to pull off to access things. Not saying its a great thing, its not, but at least they had that thought process.

If I remember correctly it only takes like 2 hours to get the cab off on one of these trucks.

I mean, it would be nice to only take a couple hours to get the cab off one of our trucks so we could get to the engine.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I can pull my crew cab in less than 2 hours... the damn running boards take longer to remove than anything else. (It's an '86)

P.s. always antiseize the cab bolts when you have them out!!