Wal Mart batterys and you!!!!!!!

pafixitman

Reaction score
I had a Wal Mart in the Explorer and had zero problems with it. Went through 6 in the truck in 2 months. The last set was leaking acid. The service desk refused to refund my money and asked how I knew the battery leaked. :dunno(It would bubble out acid as it sat in the truck) I turned it upside down over the service counter.:D Took my cash refund and bought Die hards.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
I use autozone, and there batteries have been perfect for me. I recently found out that if you have a commercial account there you can get batteries that only the commercial accounts can get. The have group 65 batteries with 2 year free replacement warranty, and all my autozone purchases in regards to warranty have never been questioned by the clerk. if I tell them I don't want this one, give me a new one, they just do it. The batteries have 850 cca 1000 amp ratings, and the best part is they are only $65 brand new. I'm sticking with autozone, they are close convenient, everywhere, service is great, price is great. For me win win win all the way around. No I don't work there, and never have. Just my .02 and experience buying batteries for dozens of trucks that I won or have owned, and will own.

x2 All of the vehicles I ever owned have gotten Autozone Yellow Tops when the batteries they came with start dying. NEVER had aproblem one and I've probably bought 20 or more from them. Because, apparently, I don't think ahead far enought o keep some junk batteries on hand to pull the good ones out when I sell the truck! lol

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Just chiming in to x12 the Interstate blem love! These things are the cheapest and yet toughest I've ever had, why go anywhere else? If there isn't a dealer near you, find the closest one and make the trek, it's worth it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SELLING BATTERIES IS A BIG HEADACHE

While on the subject, I will say this---selling batteries to the public is the biggest headache a business can have.

Businesses that sell batteries to John Q. Public do so only as a convenience to their customers.

From before my birth, until a few years ago, we sold batteries, LOTS OF BATTERIES, DEKAs, Interstates, Goulds, Safemark Big Kicks, Hesters (start and go with HESTER---you gotta be old to remember that one LOL ), and many many more whose names escape my memory.

Out of all the various brands, there is no single one that stands out as being better than any other---except maybe the GOULD---it might have been just a hair better---maybe.

Regardless of the brand, there was always a couple of pallet-fulls of "adjustments" (take backs, returns, whatever) for the battery man whenever he ran his route.

The price mark-up on batteries is huge; it has to be, because they know that customers will lie cheat and steal whenever batteries are concerned.

Many is the battery that I have warrantied, when there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

In most cases, it would turn out to be the starter, alternator, regulator, crappy cables, crappy connections, and most usually a combination of all of the above.

I have taken batteries out of the "return" pile and used them problem-free for years.

About five years ago, we finally had all the battery route guys to remove their racks and we are no longer plagued with the battery business; no longer do we have to listen to otherwise good people lie like dogs to one up the battery company.

Getting rid of the battery racks and getting out of the battery business was the most positive move we ever made for our business.

Without a doubt, every single battery we sold over the years cost us at least twenty bucks loss per battery sold. cookoo

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Don't any of you guys have a dedicated "battery store" in your town? Go in and ask them for a "rebuild" or "reconditioned" unit. That's what I always do my local place gets about $35 for one never had a problem...

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Johnson controls makes interstate, duralast, some autocraft, Kirkland, Diehard and everstart in some areas, And several other brands I cant remember right off. Some everstarts are made by Exide, Those are the ones to avoid, They say right on top on the label. And try to avoid any other battery made by exide as well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walmart is not doing well in China. From an industry trade mag....

However, Rein says Wal-Mart's "everyday low price" strategy has backfired with Chinese shoppers, who often assume cheaper products are unsafe or counterfeit

OK, let me ask you this. Who would know better what was cheaper, unsafe, or counterfeit, then the people WHO MAKE THIS STUFF!

Are you smarter than a Chinese person? Not if you shop at Walmart.

You can safely assume that EVERYTHING they sell, even if it comes in the same package, has been comprimised in some way, because no manufacturer can meet their price points and maintain the quality of their product. I speak from experience, and as someone who lost their job, and saw their plant close because we couldn't do exactly that.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The company I work for sells product to Wal Mart. We had to locate a sales rep in Bentonville just to satisfy them. When our costs of manufacturing go up, we have to pass the costs along, thats the requirement of doing business.

Corn syrup, flour, labor, insurance prices all go one direction... UP!

So, we raise our prices to our distributors.

Not Wal Mart. They told us "Yea, ok, you want to raise your price thats fine, but you won't raise your price with us."

They wanted us to take a loss with every pound of candy we sold them. Who in their right mind would do that??? So, we told Wal Mart that they could either A) pay the higher price, or B) not buy our product.

If you ever stop seeing Red Vines at Wal Mart, you'll know why. :D

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Don't any of you guys have a dedicated "battery store" in your town? Go in and ask them for a "rebuild" or "reconditioned" unit. That's what I always do my local place gets about $35 for one never had a problem...

I live in Wine country California, for some reason the belief is that because we throw our product in $500 50 gallon wooden barrels and rot it for a year before we sell it we are special cookoo then after 2 or 3 uses we toss the barrel :rolleyes: if any other industry did that they'd be laughed out of the building, except for a few makers of French cheese with mold on it :dunno

We don't even have a good starter/alternator shop any more! They went out of business a few years ago.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am so glade that I started this thread, It has been soooooo eye opening to me and I bet to others that are reading this. I want to thank everybody and I'm looking forward to every future post. Thank you all again.

Zrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the Dry cell (optima knock off) From walmart about 5 years ago... I have never had troubles with this unit. It has been through hell and back. Swapped between veh, tossed in the mud, tossed in the back of the truck, left sitting on the ground all winter, used for boosting. and this thing works great everytime. Its been sitting for 2 years in my shop and when i had troubles with the diesel i grabed it and used it as a jumper fired right up Don't know about the rest of their batteries but this thing works great. Only reason i bought it is i was always out 4x4in in the toyota and didnt want acid leaking all over the enviroment if i happened to roll my truck over... Cleaning up a oil mess in the bush is bad enough. Didnt need oil to go along with it

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Walmart is not doing well in China. From an industry trade mag....

OK, let me ask you this. Who would know better what was cheaper, unsafe, or counterfeit, then the people WHO MAKE THIS STUFF!

Are you smarter than a Chinese person? Not if you shop at Walmart.

You can safely assume that EVERYTHING they sell, even if it comes in the same package, has been comprimised in some way, because no manufacturer can meet their price points and maintain the quality of their product. I speak from experience, and as someone who lost their job, and saw their plant close because we couldn't do exactly that.

I used to sell mid to high end car audio. Had to get most of it from a factory authorized rep, with territorial restrictions. But not Walmart. The maker of one particular brand of head unit made a special, seperate line for Walmart. If you compaired the 2 the wires on the harness were of a smaller gauge. Some options were left off. Who know what else inside. I would always have kids comming in and saying "I can buy that cheaper at Walmart". They did not understand what I was telling them either. How was I supposed to compete with that? I dropped that line...

Zrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why the rich get richer.... All these manufacturors think that walmart is god. as far as retailers go so they will do anything to sell to them... If all these manufacturors stuck to their quality controll standards and forced the big boy to pay for quality do you think walmart would be as big as it is today and crushing the little guy?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Thats why the rich get richer.... All these manufacturors think that walmart is god. as far as retailers go so they will do anything to sell to them... If all these manufacturors stuck to their quality controll standards and forced the big boy to pay for quality do you think walmart would be as big as it is today and crushing the little guy?

We don't think WalMart is God...

See above...

Zrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hehe not talking about us the everyday consumer... Im talking about the supplyers to walmart. If you have ever watched the TV specials on tv you would see. they line up in hords and will give almost anything to get their product into walmart with lots of people loosing everything they own to do it