Voltage drop in cab with load (blower motor)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where the 3G shines is the lower rpm output. You really can't take advantage of the full 3G 130 amp output if you are running the single v-belt setup, the belt will slip.

Your guys running beefed up wiring need to think about fusible links or a huge maxi fuse at the battery for that wire. Also your wiring practices running a wire like that through the firewall need to be well thought out. You don't want that wire shorting out, even if it does have a fuse inline.

As far as the blower motor, I don't see why one relay would not be enough. After all, you want resistance in the lower speeds to slow the fan correct? A single power feed relay fed from the battery would take the load off the cab wiring, and give you more speed in all the different speeds, especially high.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
130 amp 3g... Way overkill, seems like the 42A factory alternator was adequate and a 65 amp 1g certainly would be sufficient. Though the 3g can keep up with any normal or reasonable additional load in these trucks at idle where a 1g or 2g will not. Wish I had one of those mondo amp load test resistors to check max amps at idle and RPM.

Where the 3G shines is the lower rpm output. You really can't take advantage of the full 3G 130 amp output if you are running the single v-belt setup, the belt will slip.

plus,you gain a longer lasting,more durable built unit with internal fan and voltage regulator.you also greatly reduced having your truck burn to the ground.TSB 96214. it's not just higher output.it's a win/win/win/win/win ;Sweet

the 3g swap is right up there,just behind turbo's,hydroboost brakes and pretty girls.:D

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you also greatly reduced having your truck burn to the ground.TSB 96214.
That TSB is for the 2G plug problem. Did they ever put the 2G alternator in a diesel? My 89 has the separate alternator regulator, more like a 1G unit. It never had the fire problem.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
I believe my '86 had a 2g alternator. Every 80-86 I've owned before has had a 1g, usually 42 amp which I had always upgraded to a 65 amp whenever they failed. Those were all gas engines though.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yours looks just like mine but clocked correctly. Where your wires face the sky, Mine face the rocker covers. Have no idea if 1 or 2G either. I have 2 of them and no idea if they're good or not. Thinking of getting them tested today.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Then I have 2, 2G alts. One was on the truck when evidence of either a battery fire or severe overcharge condition occurred. The other I got from a buddy who had a few old parts lying around and asked if I needed it. Can these be tested at a parts house or not?