Viton Os, Valve covers and Fuel in Oil

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed this return line kit without Vitons about a month ago. Already took off the cap and tried to re-seat the o-rings again to see if this leak would stop on these two rear passenger side return caps. Still getting a minor leak... I didn’t have any leaks prior to this return line install, but when I did the install I noticed that the aft passenger side injector line seemed a bit off? The flare on the hard line seemed to come into the injector at an angle. When I tightened the line nut down on this one I was never confident that the flare end would sit properly on the injector. But then again, I never had a problem with it before and didn’t bend any lines so I want to say it is most likely the o-ring.

I’m ready to just buy vitons because of all the good reviews and longevity, but just wanted to throw this out to the forum and see if there was any other sage wisdom besides swapping the O-rings and making sure they are lubed during the install.

Oh, and with this leak by the injector, could the fuel pool up and ruin my gp? Could it also have potentially gotten in under my valve cover? I had poor valve cover gaskets and just replaced them yesterday (now doing awesome) I was getting an oil leak out the passenger side onto my starter.

I recently posted a photo of my oil dipstick and I thought my coolant may have been in my crankcase due to a water pump that went. But after the new flowkooler install and a coolant pressure test I know the cooling system is leak free and solid. So I have narrowed it down to possibly fuel in my crankcase :/ via this leaky injector or my mechanical fuel pump has the diaphragm ruptured and seeping in through there. I’ve been following the E-pump thread and am feeling motivated, especially because I have two weeks off right now. There was a really good how-to posted in the tech forum too from like 2012 that was great.
Leak seems to come in from the top of the plastic cap...

Thanks y’all and Merry Christmas!

You must be registered for see images attach

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those leaks are such a nuisance. And yeah, if the line doesn't go down square to the injector you can get a leak. Don't over tighten the nut- you can form a groove in the hard line and then it will be hard to seat. From the look in your pics, they look pretty straight. I just pulled my injectors because I'm doing the heads, and when I took off the caps a few of the o rings were pulled apart, and they were only on for a month. It doesn't take much to tear them up.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @quickster feels good just hearing another say that system can be a pain. Other than that the truck drives great. Finally got those valve covers in and now I’m not seeing oil on the floor when I leave! :Thumbs Up You installing a turbo?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Installed this return line kit without Vitons about a month ago. Already took off the cap and tried to re-seat the o-rings again to see if this leak would stop on these two rear passenger side return caps. Still getting a minor leak... I didn’t have any leaks prior to this return line install, but when I did the install I noticed that the aft passenger side injector line seemed a bit off? The flare on the hard line seemed to come into the injector at an angle. When I tightened the line nut down on this one I was never confident that the flare end would sit properly on the injector. But then again, I never had a problem with it before and didn’t bend any lines so I want to say it is most likely the o-ring.

I’m ready to just buy vitons because of all the good reviews and longevity, but just wanted to throw this out to the forum and see if there was any other sage wisdom besides swapping the O-rings and making sure they are lubed during the install.

Oh, and with this leak by the injector, could the fuel pool up and ruin my gp? Could it also have potentially gotten in under my valve cover? I had poor valve cover gaskets and just replaced them yesterday (now doing awesome) I was getting an oil leak out the passenger side onto my starter.

I recently posted a photo of my oil dipstick and I thought my coolant may have been in my crankcase due to a water pump that went. But after the new flowkooler install and a coolant pressure test I know the cooling system is leak free and solid. So I have narrowed it down to possibly fuel in my crankcase :/ via this leaky injector or my mechanical fuel pump has the diaphragm ruptured and seeping in through there. I’ve been following the E-pump thread and am feeling motivated, especially because I have two weeks off right now. There was a really good how-to posted in the tech forum too from like 2012 that was great.
Leak seems to come in from the top of the plastic cap...

Thanks y’all and Merry Christmas!

I am not sure how much fuel we're talking about,but I don't see how the GPs could possibly get shorted out,since the GPs themselves are grounded,but the controller and relay might under certain circumstances .I would say,most likely the fuel didn't enter through the valve covers,and I would be looking at the lift pump first.I can tell you first hand that you will not regret swapping to an E pump.Both my trucks have E pumps,and it is really nice not having to worry about roasting the batteries or starter,and having the diaphram rupture and filling your crankcase.I personally used fuse blocks,since I had other accessories to add to my trucks,and it keeps it clean and all in one place.

Rock

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a good look at the cap before you put it back on with the new o rings. I've seen them with burrs on them. If there's any sharp edges they'll cut your new rings.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @chillman88 little things like that I’m sure make the difference. And roger that @Farmer Rock I agree and thinks it’s about time to move over. I’m new to diesels but have been troubleshooting and installing things for a couple years now so I feel fairly confident. Thanks for the tips too, let’s hope I can convince the wife to allow me a couple more days in the shop before I go back to work. I already got the tree, hung the lights, and we wrapped all the gifts so I’m looking good!

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Stu, not installing a turbo. I think I have a bad exhaust guide or valve seat. Did a leak down test and confirmed the leak. I wish I was doing a turbo--but you know you can't find those around here. Used in good shape, that is.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Hey Stu, not installing a turbo. I think I have a bad exhaust guide or valve seat. Did a leak down test and confirmed the leak. I wish I was doing a turbo--but you know you can't find those around here. Used in good shape, that is.
Quickster-I see you are in NJ...There is a guy down here in york county Pa,that parts out these trucks.He always seems to have good used turbo kits for around $6-800 on Facebook marketplace.

Rock

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on man. I see you’re in NJ as well, what do you know! Well, I hope the repairs are quick and easy for yah, just in time for the winter salts :rotflmao

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The return cap may not be seated. They take a bit of downward pressure and you should hear a click. I have used a socket and extension to tap with a hammer, but too much force can break the cap. I made that mistake once.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aye, I see. Well it’s a good thing I have an extra set of the caps. I’m finally starting to build a small supply of these odds and ends that are cheap and easy to replace. Would like to have a couple extra tstats, filters, belts and engine hardware one day. With the way things are going politically, they may try and take our combustion engines along with our guns! Haha I’m sure we have a long ways to go but I hope to pass on this truck to my son and it would be nice for him to have a parts bin as well :rock:

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Aye, I see. Well it’s a good thing I have an extra set of the caps. I’m finally starting to build a small supply of these odds and ends that are cheap and easy to replace. Would like to have a couple extra tstats, filters, belts and engine hardware one day. With the way things are going politically, they may try and take our combustion engines along with our guns! Haha I’m sure we have a long ways to go but I hope to pass on this truck to my son and it would be nice for him to have a parts bin as well :rock:
I think the same way as you Stu.I try to keep as much spare parts on hand as possible,because parts are eventually going to become hard to find.

Rock

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir. I have a good supply of small parts. Been saving odds and ends for 20 years of idi's. I think of that too- vehicles being disabled through their computers. But our old iron would be immune. My son is a Chevy guy. :(