Vinyl tubing and diesel fuel?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question.

How long would you expect the 3/8" vinyl tubing you can get at Lowes, to last in the engine compartment, with diesel running though it?

Being careful, of course, to not let it rub against anything, and to keep any 'vibrations' to a minimum...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youll notice a change within a month, the material goes yellow and hard. Im sure it would hold up for years, but it will be so hard it may get leaky.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I'd hoped someone would have experience with it.

So I can put off purchase of the real fuel line for a bit. But shouldn't leave it for long.:D

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I have a chunk of it in my test tools kit with appropriate fittings to splice into fuel systems to check for air bubbles in the fuel. I’ve had it for years but always flush it and blow dry. It is still like new. However over the years I’ve had poor luck with clear vinyl hose and petroleum. It hardens and gets hard to keep sealed at the fittings. Had a batch of vacuum pumps plumbed from the oiler to the pump with it, great idea to see oil flowing but it cost us a lot before we replumbed them all. Temp yes, long term no.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a vinyl tubing on top of my IP for a year. It would be soft when its warm. Almost like jello. Anyways I replaced after a year. If your at a pinch just do it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The way I see it, the rubber fuel line that is actually designed for fuel applications will harden after a few years. I wouldn't trust vinyl that works, but probably wasn't designed for constant fuel use. Maybe an extreme example, but I used to own a couple of old dirt bikes that had vinyl fuel lines between the tanks and carbs. Once, while out riding, another guy tipped over on one of those bikes and of course the line broke. We weren't too far away from the parking lot so it wasn't completely horrible pushing it back to my truck. Then nobody there had any 1/4" fuel line so I had to go into town to buy some to put on the bike so we could continue to ride. That was a couple of hours wasted because of that crap. I can't imagine trying to deal with a broken vinyl fuel line on a truck a couple hundred miles from home. I won't invite disaster that way if I can help it at all. For me, it would be replaced as soon as I was finished with the diagnosis. Most, if not all of us, tend to forget about things like this until it's too late.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used some coolant hose by mistake once. Within days, it was leaking. Drip, drip, drip, all over the floor. Try to find the bad connection. Couldn't find any.

The diesel was coming right through the hose, and the hose had become quite soft.

Needless to say, I replaced it post-haste before what appeared to be total failure.

Now, this wasn't clear vinyl, rather it was some thick rubber hose laying around that looked appropriate for use. Taught me a lesson. Use the right stuff.

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
I've had a chunk of that clear line on my truck since May of 2010, when I installed the new IP. I wanted to be sure about bubbles in the system. Most of my line is the traditional stuff, but that single piece is clear. It's been there now for just over nine years. It's given me no problems. It doesn't leak. Of course I don't pull it off the barbed fitting, I don't mess with it. I do, however, carry in the truck the original line it replaced. Opps, looking at the picture I see a second piece, also part of the return line system.

You must be registered for see images attach

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I've had a few pieces of Lowe's clear thread reinforced line under my hood with fuel running thru it for years, no leaks. & yes it yellows & hardens quick (month) when cold but flexible when warm. I like to see fuel & see if I got bubbles.

I usually got some sizes extra with me just in case. Sometimes change it out after 1-2-3 yrs.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Pretty much what I suspected.

I'll keep some extra in the truck, once I start driving this. :D

And yes, eventually everything will be done "correctly". Just that, having been sick the entire month, things are going to be pretty tight for the next few months.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, this has become pretty moot. I now have enough of the black 3/8 gas line, to do the job.

I am not going to be able to afford the check valves and other fittings needed to build a side by side system. Not for a while, at least.

So, I am just going to plumb the edelbrock pump in, bypassing the mechanical pump altogether.

For now, I will just plumb the mechanical back to itself.

If the electric pump proves sufficient by itself... I'll carry a spare pump. And I'll remove the mechanical and put in a blockoff plate. (And say goodbye forever to the possibility of filling my sump with diesel, because of a shot mechanical pump.)

If the electric isn't sufficient.. I'll go back to the mechanical pump. And later plumb in a side by side with the electric, only to be used for priming in hard start situations.

And yes, I am going to put the green edlebrock pump on the wheelwell, near the filter head. Ive seen this very pump in that location enough times... And been told it has worked for thousands of miles, and several years... That I am willing to take the chance on it.

Plus, on a personal note, I plumbed the gasoline equivalent, on a chevy nova that I built, with 350/350 combo, and put the pump in the same location, and it never did fail me. (I could do wheelies with that nova.)

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a second to @gandalf , I've had the exact same two positions fitted with Lowe's vinyl hose since 12'? IIRC. Did return caps at least once since then, still no probs from the vinyl. Again, it is sorta hard, but it softens when warm and I don't bother it. Very very helpful in leak i.d.

On a separate note, it also behaves strangely as heater hose. I've had it on a 96 ps since 13' and it's very brownish now, and rock hard, but gellies when warm haha. It's was cool to see the coolant through a clear hose before it turned brown, now it's kinda ugly lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online