vibration+oil leak?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Right after my flywheel bolt shearing exercise, my truck has a vibration when it idles. The flywheel I installed had the ring gear heated up and flipped over because it had "dead" spots in it that would squeal when I started it. I'm wondering if:
1 Is this the source of vibration? It goes away as soon as you hit the throttle.
2 Could something internal on the transmission have broken when the flywheel sheared off.
3. Is a vibration at the flywheel capable of causing the rear main to leak?

I had no leaks until last night (in my attorneys white white white driveway) and I had no vibrations until after the emergency flywheel transplant.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a recollection from my old gasser days of having a flywheel balanced at a machine shop. It involved drilling balancing holes part way through the flywheel out near the starter gear ring. A vibration could cause leaks and seal failure. There is something definitely wrong.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney, makes me wonder if the shearing of the bolts has anything to do with the vibration, or if it was the other way around? Maybe the vibration is the cause and not the symptom. I'd think it time to replace the flexplate. There is also the possibility that your converter is not bolted to the flexplate in the same position as before, and that they were balanced in the prior position, but are unbalanced now (as luck would have it). Perhaps your worn out IP is causing the imbalance? I'd stick that Moose Pump on and see if that fixes it. :D

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Barney, makes me wonder if the shearing of the bolts has anything to do with the vibration, or if it was the other way around? Maybe the vibration is the cause and not the symptom. I'd think it time to replace the flexplate. There is also the possibility that your converter is not bolted to the flexplate in the same position as before, and that they were balanced in the prior position, but are unbalanced now (as luck would have it). Perhaps your worn out IP is causing the imbalance? I'd stick that Moose Pump on and see if that fixes it. :D

My concern is caused because when we picked up the flywheel from my friend, we heated up the ring gear and flipped it over so I had fresh teeth for the starter to engage.

I think we might not have seated it all the way on because the vibration was there at the first start up after the swap.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Unless I'm mistakin you shouldn't have turned the ring gear over just rotated it a little as one side is tapperd for the starter and the other side is square and its very possible to oblong a ring gear when heating them done several tractors where they would still be tight but look like an egg sorta when removing them

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've identified the problem.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I've decided that this weekend I'll be spending the time to pull my trans so I can get the flywheel to a machine shop so they can balance it.

I hope to identify my oil leak while I'm in there.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the fun never stops for you doest it?;Poke :D good luck. it sure looked to me like the ring gear was well seated. balancing the assembly is a good idea.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flywheel

Barney,
I would think after all that it has been through, I would ckeck it out good.
Stress cracks, Egged holes or wobble??
What would a new one cost??
Are these engines internally balanced or externally balanced???
Good Luck
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online