VE 12V starting

BeerKiller

Reaction score
Hello all,

This seems to be a common topic lately however I didnt want to muddy anyone else's thread. I am having to give a little pedal when starting my 92 Cummins truck and I wanted to know what are your thoughts as to why. When I try and start it without giving it any pedal it will start but it seems to be running very low RPM and wants to die. I believe the previous owner disconnected the grid heater so I am sure that might help, but it will do it even when its 60*F outside. I am not 100% certain my mix but its close to 80/20 oil/gas mixed 50/50 with diesel.

How much will getting the grid heater help?
Is the oil too thick? its pretty thin IMO compared to what we run in my fathers 98 Cummins
Is raising the idle common practice with WMO?
Do I need to plug in the block heater?

Thank you for any feedback

SultanofNACL

Reaction score
My experience with running any alt fuels is limited to mechanical diesel engines with a DB-2 injection pump, haha.
Though running WMO should generally be the same between Ford/International and Dodge engines but the particulars are down to the injection pumps themselves.
Jesus Freak has an extensive thread on running 6.9/7.3 International IDIs on WMO: 6.9 & 7.3 IH IDI on WMO
Injection pump advance or retard?: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/advanced-timing-wmo-245993/

Could your injectors or injection pump be getting tired and not able to keep up with what the engine needs?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the Cummins too well, @u2slow and @Mt_Man will be the guys for that. But if you mix gas and oil and then do diesel like you say that should be more than thin enough, honestly I wouldn't worry about putting gas in if you just do oil and diesel 50/50.

But from a Ford IDI point of view, I'd say it's a slightly clogged fuel filter.

And the sultan might be on to something about the IP, but see if a filter helps.

Last edited:

BeerKiller

Reaction score
My experience with running any alt fuels is limited to mechanical diesel engines with a DB-2 injection pump, haha.
Though running WMO should generally be the same between Ford/International and Dodge engines but the particulars are down to the injection pumps themselves.
Jesus Freak has an extensive thread on running 6.9/7.3 International IDIs on WMO: 6.9 & 7.3 IH IDI on WMO
Injection pump advance or retard?: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/advanced-timing-wmo-245993/

Could your injectors or injection pump be getting tired and not able to keep up with what the engine needs?
I will read up on that IDI thread. I dont believe the timing has been messed with but I will double check. The truck does have 300K so the pump and injectors could be tired.
I don't know the Cummins too well, @u2slow and @Mt_Man will be the guys for that. But if you mix gas and oil and then do diesel like you say that should be more than thin enough, honestly I wouldn't worry about putting gas in if you just do oil and diesel 50/50.

But from a Ford IDI point of view, I'd say it's a slightly clogged fuel filter.

And the sultan might be on to something about the IP, but see if a filter helps.
Thank you for the reply. I just installed a sump and a 10" 5 micron filter with 1/2" lines and a new lift pump. I ran the system on Diesel for about 100 mi before adding WMO so I dont think it is the lines or filters but I wont rule anything out.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will read up on that IDI thread. I dont believe the timing has been messed with but I will double check. The truck does have 300K so the pump and injectors could be tired.

Thank you for the reply. I just installed a sump and a 10" 5 micron filter with 1/2" lines and a new lift pump. I ran the system on Diesel for about 100 mi before adding WMO so I dont think it is the lines or filters but I wont rule anything out.
Stuff happens, with a new pump and more flow it coulda sucked up some crud in the tank, or a bad batch of WMO. But 300K on an IP and your asking it to drink some pretty strong coffee, early in the morning when it's cold.

BeerKiller

Reaction score
Stuff happens, with a new pump and more flow it coulda sucked up some crud in the tank, or a bad batch of WMO. But 300K on an IP and your asking it to drink some pretty strong coffee, early in the morning when it's cold.
Yea I agree. I think I might read up on what the WVO guys are doing to heat the fuel lines. Once the truck is half way up to temp it seems to idle just fine so I am thinking if I thin the WMO it should help a bunch.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
@BeerKiller your mix seems heavy to me, so far as it only being 50% diesel. I have gone that far, but only with relatively thin/clean hyd oil; in the summer. I have never blended with gasoline, so I don't know the result there.

Most Cummins trucks have a label on the sunvisor saying part throttle is required for colder temp starts. Since you have disconnected the grids, it's like it's colder all the the time.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BeerKiller your mix seems heavy to me, so far as it only being 50% diesel. I have gone that far, but only with relatively thin/clean hyd oil; in the summer. I have never blended with gasoline, so I don't know the result there.

Most Cummins trucks have a label on the sunvisor saying part throttle is required for colder temp starts. Since you have disconnected the grids, it's like it's colder all the the time.
I knew you were the man for the job. Is 50/50 really "heavy" for the 12v? If so, it's Its because you have a single tank system, correct? If your Dodges had a 2 tank system, would you be able to run it heavier if you cranked up on diesel?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's some neat ideas about heating fuel lines. Mostly manipulating the heater hoses, please keep us informed and post pictures. Maybe even start a thread with "wmo" and "12v Cummins" in the title so posterity can find it easy.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I knew you were the man for the job. Is 50/50 really "heavy" for the 12v? If so, it's Its because you have a single tank system, correct? If your Dodges had a 2 tank system, would you be able to run it heavier if you cranked up on diesel?

I have a single tank, and not going to blend any higher.

I prefer injectors with fewer and larger holes. Coking can be a issue with direct-injection, and I'm predicting the larger holes won't foul as easily.

BeerKiller

Reaction score
50/50 shouldnt be too heavy IMO. My fathers 98 12V runs 90% - 100% WMO but he also has the P pump which I am convinced will pump axle grease.

I should note that he also has similar symptoms as me and he just upped the idle about 100rpm. Seems to work just fine until he puts straight diesel in her and it seems to idle pretty high (1000ish rpm)

Last edited:

Mt_Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 97 dodge with ppump cranks for a while on diesel and starts easier of my blend but I usually use a tiny pedal input and it is quick to life. If I take the pedal away on blend then it idles to low and is rough or dies. Idle might be set to low when cold. I have a wood dowel that I put on the pedal and driver seat to hold in a high idle (1000rpm) for warm up. Usual the ve pumps are fast to start up. Almost as soon as the motor turns. Atomization of the fuel is big but also engine compression. Have to get the compressed air above the autoignition temp of the fuel being injected. How is the engine compression? I am sure it's fine. Does it act way different from diesel vs blend? How does it act when block heater plugged in? I also disconnected my grid heater have not seen I big difference. But it can help with warm up. Doesn't sound that cold or that thick of fuel blend to me. Coked up injectors? I have notice engine power and starting changes with warm engine and after long trips I get better power cause the fuel has warmed up (return line heats up tank).

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The KSB kicks the idle up when cold. You can get a timing spacer to amplify the effect. Set your idle when hot... If auto, do it in drive with the AC on. Really need a tach to set it right.

BeerKiller

Reaction score
So I believe my issue was the KSB. Not really sure what I did specifically but it starts up and idles just fine now.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Have you run very many miles of wmo through this engine. A friend of mine tried 50/50 through a ve pump cummins and always had pump issues that would eventually clear up after running straight diesel for a few hundred miles. I dont think he even did 2k miles total and gave up. His setup was very well filtered, and only summertime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01