Valley Pan

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a used valley pan? @ $50 for a new one it's a little steep and was thinking of reusing the one I just took off my 6.9 that is setting on the floor and in good shape. My 7.3 has a problem with a loud tick that comes and goes and I have come to the conclusion it is a lifter collapsing. As I have a set of lifters that have only 10K miles on them I was going to replace the ones in my truck with the newer ones and see if it clears up the tick. When the 7.3 is cold, oil thick there is no tick but after warming up the tick will start. I have changed oil brands 3 different times and found with "Rotella T 15-40" I have less to no tick untill temp comes up.

Jim

pafixitman

Reaction score
I have only pulled a pan twice. This last time the pan had 3 months and 600 miles on it - and it was a IH pan @ $104!!!

I'm thinking if you took care when removing it, you should be fine. Clean the back and front edges good. I use the intake ports as handles and tend to distort the whole pan.

As for the tick, I am no expert but in retrospect I think a failing lifter was the start of my downfall. My tick was worse warm and I only use Rotella.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where d people get the sealant called "Right Stuff"? Thanks Joe for your reply, I could buy a new valley pan from NAPA for around $49. Now if this was a gasser I would think twice about using a used intake gasket but where we don't depend on vacuum for correct engine performance?

Jim

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Don't use it if your going to go forced induction because then you'll be creating a place for a leak. Now that said I would not reuse it I know it's 50 bucks but still it's like putting on dirty underwear to me - just something that I would not do...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For the cost of having to redo it I would spring for the Nappa $50.00 pan. BTW... Underware turned inside out gives you twice as much wear.... :rotflmao

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Jim, I suppose it depends on how carefully the "used" pan was removed.....that being said--I recall while working on a Ford dealers boat who was having oil consumption issues, one of his line techs made a comment that these IDI diesels "can" use oil from a bad valley pan......consider the fact that you are using an alloy intake to "crush" the pan ribs to the head ports.
Combine that with the oil vapors from the cranckcase.....logic would say that it is possible for that vapor to be injested both via the intake and exhaust...resulting in oil consumption.....clear as mudd :D but........??????

His explaination to me....and that comming once again from a {exp}line tech who did resolve several oil consumption claims by replacing the valley pan ;Sweet

Just my couple pennies......

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
icanfixall said:
For the cost of having to redo it I would spring for the Nappa $50.00 pan. BTW... Underware turned inside out gives you twice as much wear.... :rotflmao

You forgot option #3....back to front :Sly keeps your pants cleaner longer ;Sweet

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how carefully you take the valley pan off. You're supposed to buy a new one each time because of the sealant stuff on the valley pan that gets smooshed between the valley pan and the intake and heads get used and thats that. You should use new sealant junk on it if you reuse it.

As travis said,it's like putting on dirty underwear... or as i would like to say, like putting on broken underwear.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Jim, You can find the right stuff at napa,autozone,advance auto or usually and large auto store, Most places are carrying it now, But I will warn Ya it's a bit pricey but worth it.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Jim, is there is a smyth close enough you want to go to (new one in springboro?) they sell it cheapest I've seen. Napa in So Lebanon also, KOI in Lebanon.
James

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Imagine my horror when I got ready to fire my truck up after changing heads. I looked down at the bench and saw the lifter spider sitting there! DOH! -cuss
50 bux and 3 hrs later it fired up.

Gaskets are not reusable.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it was just a thought, didn't know if anyone had reused it or not but Y'all made a convincing argument so I will spent the bucks.

As for useing the "Right Stuff" I can at least reuse the valve cover gaskets LOL.

Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Two Fiddy... I remember the forgotten spyder!!! :eek: When I assembled my motor I really looked for that part to be in there when I was done. I took pics as I closed things up just so I had proof everything was in place. Now, about the valve cover gaskets. If they are in good shape reuse them or remove them and use the Right Stuff or any high quality RTV or the old gaskets AND RTV.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put my newly rebuilt block back together, and it got a new valley pan. The pan isnot reusable. It has crush surfaces that get flattened when it is tightened down, and once flattened, it cannot be re-used.

That wouldn't even be my worry. What would keep me awake at night is the worry that the little 1/2" water passages between each intake port that are sealed by the valley pan would leak, and then you'd have coolant in the oil. Not a good situation. For the money, it's one of the things you just gotta replace with a new one...

Zigg :)