Valeo DMF

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I'm willing to pay to not have gear rollover noise.

Besides, the SMF could probably not last that long anyway. It would get too thin and have to be replaced.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
mine only makes the noise when I let it idle along and its not even that bad other wise its quiet besides for I guess if you money to burn go for it but for $300 difference I live with the little bit of noise also what is too thin on the SMFW the clutch disc is the same as a DMFW except it has springs in it and the FW is plenty thick because its one solid unit but if you really don't want any additional noise in your TRUCK then go with a stock unit but for me personally the better pedal feel and price difference is well worth the little bit of noise

82fordtruck

Reaction score
OK - sure the money is something to consider. That said, I usually shop at the dealer because I get a better product.

I have a few concerns still -

1) less pedal pressure = less spring pressure on the disc = less torque capacity
2) extra noise = more wear on the transmission
3) availibility of parts when I break down in BFE
4) design inherent weakenesses not found on stock setup (towing heavy)

Those are worth the money to me.

Now you're free to talk me out of those ideas if you'd like, but that's why I want to go stock. The availibility of parts is very important to me. What if Luk goes under?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
1 wrong the luk is a larger diameter clutch which helps allow lighter pedal engagement while maintaing high clamping loads
2 wrong the flywheel just transmits more noise because it is solid just because you can't hear them with the stock unit dosen't mean they are not there also the springs in the FW were installed to help with load spikes when the motor was shut off but imagine the load spikes when the springs break in the FW and you have the big chunk of steel slamin into steel
3 probably a good concern except for not may people while stuck in BFE will have the ability to change a fly wheel plus most auto stores like napa would have to order even stock replacement parts
4 I'm not sure what weakness you are talking about I've never heard of this and I tow heavy all the time with mine and so does my brother the southbends are SMFW too and I beleive they are LUK clutches that they modify the clutch disc

I'm not trying to talk you outa any thing the stock unit works fine and is quiet but it has its own concerns the possibility of the flywheel coming apart and damaging the tranny and/or crank but the noise may be more then some people can stand just like my stacks might be too loud for them also but I like them so I run it but thats just me I've also heard NAPA carries valeo clutches either SM or DM just not sure on their prices ether way it should be a long time before you need to worry about it again

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
1 wrong the luk is a larger diameter clutch which helps allow lighter pedal engagement while maintaing high clamping loads
2 wrong the flywheel just transmits more noise because it is solid just because you can't hear them with the stock unit dosen't mean they are not there also the springs in the FW were installed to help with load spikes when the motor was shut off but imagine the load spikes when the springs break in the FW and you have the big chunk of steel slamin into steel
3 probably a good concern except for not may people while stuck in BFE will have the ability to change a fly wheel plus most auto stores like napa would have to order even stock replacement parts
4 I'm not sure what weakness you are talking about I've never heard of this and I tow heavy all the time with mine and so does my brother the southbends are SMFW too and I beleive they are LUK clutches that they modify the clutch disc

I'm not trying to talk you outa any thing the stock unit works fine and is quiet but it has its own concerns the possibility of the flywheel coming apart and damaging the tranny and/or crank but the noise may be more then some people can stand just like my stacks might be too loud for them also but I like them so I run it but thats just me I've also heard NAPA carries valeo clutches either SM or DM just not sure on their prices ether way it should be a long time before you need to worry about it again

Just priced clutches at Napa last week. They offer a SMF conversion, which I believe is Valeo, for $517. The DMF replacement was over twice that. I don't recall the exact price on just the DMF clutch, but I beleive it was in the mid 300's for clutch and pressure plate. Not sure of manufacturer, probably Valeo also.

Tom

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
In the FWIW dept, you can buy from Ford for about $1300 and still have a weak link {the DMFW} or go with a LUK unit for half the $ and better performance, able to take more abuse {read work}.

I used the LUK unit in my '90 IDI and absolutly hammered that thing for close to 200 k mi ;Sweet

I also have a single mass South Bend in my PSD that see's it's share of abuse between my work environment, trailers AND hooking to 40k lb sleds :Sly where I come out of the hole at 2500 turns just to get the sled moving before dropping the hammer, so I don't see any evidence to support your "weaker" theory :D

Here's what happens when a dual mass decides to grenade...... 1 before repair and 2 after...

Attachments

• case crack-before-1.jpg
    case crack-before-1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 9
  • after weld-1.jpg
    after weld-1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 7
  • weld-2-.jpg
    weld-2-.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 7