vacuuming a/c

LandscapeMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EZ, how is Charlie? We haven't heard from him in a long time. How come he's not posting "Thanks EZ for fixing my AC"? :backoff :D

Mel,
Sorry, took me a while to get back to my computer.

Exekiel,
Exekiel saves me again!!
Thank you for fixing my AC and my driver side window which gets stuck when rolled all the way up.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
With a pressurized flush kit. You push a liquid flush through the system and then dry it out with air and vacuum. I removes that black crud, which is generally metal particulate from inside your compressor! Problem is, if your compressor is making metal before the flush, it will still be making it after the flush, so the system will get "dirty" again. Might be a 10 year fix, may be a 10 day fix!!! :)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Charlie, Anything for My friends.

Gary, the system was charged but didn't cool at all so We opened the low pressure valve and discharged it, then We refilled it with the cleaner refrigerant and it didn't cool again but We discharged it again, vacuum it and replaced the orifice tube and reservoir and then recharged with new preoiled fluid. After all this it cooled really well to Me fast too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
After flushing , with a questionable compressor, it would likely be a good idea to add a filter as well. You install them inline between the condenser and the orifice tube . It has a larger surface area and can generally handle the crud left in the system after flushing. Advance , napa etc can order the things, or here
They are also available as units that will screw in between the hose and condenser fittings( I know advance can order those )

-------Robert

LandscapeMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After flushing , with a questionable compressor, it would likely be a good idea to add a filter as well. You install them inline between the condenser and the orifice tube . It has a larger surface area and can generally handle the crud left in the system after flushing. Advance , napa etc can order the things, or here
They are also available as units that will screw in between the hose and condenser fittings( I know advance can order those )

-------Robert

Thanks for the explanation and the link. Perhaps we may do the flush and filter in the future.

Charlie

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Thank you for the link. Hopefully the Quart size bottle will work $17.
As opposed to the gallon size $60>

Charlie

Yes, that is what I buy. It is reusable as well, just let the crap settle out, I generally run it through a paint strainer type funnel as well. You can also buy the flush separate once you have the system if/and when you need more in the future. We run this stuff through in both directions, condenser and evaporator, no orifice tube or accumulator, then just blow air through it preferably with a filter/dryer between your air compressor and the air nozzle. Then put it all back together, vac it and refill. Have not had a problem doing this way in over 15 years, with both R12 and R134a!

I have a quart sitting here and the following are the instructions:

"We recommend removing the compressor, accumulator/drier. Disconnect hoses at condenser. Using shop air, blow through the condenser from the inlet to the outlet side. Repeat this procedure from the outlet side to the inlet side. Continue this procedure until all debris is removed.

The same procedure should be used in the hoses and lines and the evaporator. Never blow or flush through the compressor. Using a control flush gun, or simply by pouring Extra Fast Flush into the condenser, allow flush to set 10 minutes. The line and evaporator can be flushed while waiting for the flush to work in the condenser. After 10 minutes, using shop air, blow from the outlet to the inlet of the condenser until all liquid and remaining debris is removed. Extra Fast Flush is compatible with R134a lubricants, "O" ring seals and hoses. This product will evaporate immediately with no residue remaining in the A/C System."

I purchased this can from JCWhitney, so if you buy from there, you should get the exact same thing!!! It is the quart can size as well.

Last edited:

LandscapeMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I buy. It is reusable as well, just let the crap settle out, I generally run it through a paint strainer type funnel as well. You can also buy the flush separate once you have the system if/and when you need more in the future. We run this stuff through in both directions, condenser and evaporator, no orifice tube or accumulator, then just blow air through it preferably with a filter/dryer between your air compressor and the air nozzle. Then put it all back together, vac it and refill. Have not had a problem doing this way in over 15 years, with both R12 and R134a!

I have a quart sitting here and the following are the instructions:

"We recommend removing the compressor, accumulator/drier. Disconnect hoses at condenser. Using shop air, blow through the condenser from the inlet to the outlet side. Repeat this procedure from the outlet side to the inlet side. Continue this procedure until all debris is removed.

The same procedure should be used in the hoses and lines and the evaporator. Never blow or flush through the compressor. Using a control flush gun, or simply by pouring Extra Fast Flush into the condenser, allow flush to set 10 minutes. The line and evaporator can be flushed while waiting for the flush to work in the condenser. After 10 minutes, using shop air, blow from the outlet to the inlet of the condenser until all liquid and remaining debris is removed. Extra Fast Flush is compatible with R134a lubricants, "O" ring seals and hoses. This product will evaporate immediately with no residue remaining in the A/C System."

I purchased this can from JCWhitney, so if you buy from there, you should get the exact same thing!!! It is the quart can size as well.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!!
The next thing I want to try to confirm is if the oriface tube filter is in the right way or if we have to switch it around. If we have to open up the system to switch the filter, might as well flush it while in there.

LandscapeMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New orifice tube is upside down in the picture.

Thanks for the info. As we have to open up the system and lose the R134 to turn the filter around. And I don't want to be running the AC till I know the filter is correct.

Can anyone else also confirm that the filter is backwards.
As they say "Trust but verify"

Thanks,
Charlie

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The picture of the orfice tube going into the freon high pressure side is going in upside down. Sorry. The dirty side of the original tube shows which way they are installed. You can see all the dirt it collected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes