Vacuum pump

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can I tell if the vacuum pump is going out? I noticed that the brakes haven't worked as good lately as they usually have.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good in-cab mounted vacuum GAUGE is almost as important as good mechanical temperature and pressure gauges.

Along with that, a decent hand-held vacuum gauge can be stuck in isolated lines, narrowing down the problem.

First, check vacuum straight into the pump, with no other lines attached; this will tell whether it is the pump, or a big leak somewhere else.

These pumps are pretty much bullet-proof and many get tossed when nothing is wrong with them.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good in-cab mounted vacuum GAUGE is almost as important as good mechanical temperature and pressure gauges.

Along with that, a decent hand-held vacuum gauge can be stuck in isolated lines, narrowing down the problem.

First, check vacuum straight into the pump, with no other lines attached; this will tell whether it is the pump, or a big leak somewhere else.

These pumps are pretty much bullet-proof and many get tossed when nothing is wrong with them.

There. Fixed it for ya. LOL

I agree 100%. Got one in all my trucks.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main reason I ask is that it seems that the pump turn over way too easy, alot easier than it did 4 years ago. The brakes work ok but if I hit the brakes 2 times real close together the pedal gets real hard.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
That's the exact symptoms my truck had when the vacuum pump went out. I found a vacuum test online somewhere....Here's what I did:

Pulled a plug from the vacuum manifold on the driver's fender.
Plumbed my vacuum gauge into that port.
Fired up the truck. Vacuum, about 19" (should be 21" if I remember right).
Went into the cab, hit the brakes twice. Went back out and looked at the gauge. It was down to 5" or so, took it almost a minute to get back to 19".

Turned the truck off, it held the 19" for 15 minutes (that's all I left the gauge plugged in for) so I knew it wasn't a leak.

Bought a brand new vacuum pump from Napa ($130ish), pulley remover from HoboFreight for $10ish and went to town. Found out that the pulley on there was bent, got a new one from Ford ($30ish), reassembled and back in business.

Since then I've heard from a few folk who never mess with the pulley. Too easy to bend and they just replace them when they do the pump. My local International parts shop had the pump with pulley for about $175 if I remember correctly. Next time I'll go that route.

Mike

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the volume of air, not the amount of vacuum that usually fails first, hence the gauge in the cab is more usefull than a gauge under the hood, as you will have grown accustomed to how much the needle moves for any given circumstance, where as if you only use it during diagnostics you will see that it draws down to 19 or 21 inches and think "oh, it must be good." This is why it brakes fine on that first press, but goes downhill after that. If you have vacuum operated cruise control, you will see it failing there also.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda what I wanna do myself, hydroboost - all my steel lines and rubber hoses are new so they will handle the pressure just fine, just gotta find a suitable hydroboost donor truck.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pulleys won't bend if you use the right tool. Trying to use a jaw puller will ruin them instantly.

The diaphram is what usually goes bad. I've replaced two vacuum pumps so far out of four Ford IDI's. The International uses hydroboost.

sassyrel

Reaction score
still need vacuum for the heater controls---and like roboto--ive replaced two on three diff trucks--they damn well aint bulletproof--and no one makes a kit to repair them--as youd have to have a can opener type assm to peel the diaphragm lid apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda what I wanna do myself, hydroboost - all my steel lines and rubber hoses are new so they will handle the pressure just fine, just gotta find a suitable hydroboost donor truck.

im sure its not a direct replacement but if was easy to fit in my scout but 90s GMC astro and chevy safari van are full of them.

all i had to do was drill 4 holes in my fire wall, shorten the pedel to booster push rod and do the hoses and that was it, but i did also use the chevy MC as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron