Vacuum Problem

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friday I came to a stop and I got the classic Hard Pedal syndrome, I checked the vacuum line running across the top of the motor to the T on the drivers side fender well and had no suction. I replaced the Vacuum Pump and now have vacuum but no brakes. Next I pulled the Brake Booster and installed a Reman Unit from NAPA, Still no brakes. Today I am going to start tracing Vaccum lines and checking all the T's and Fittings.

Any suggestions of where to start or what parts are more prone to failure than others? Also, Does the new Brake Booster need to be adjusted before you drive? I installed without messing with the shaft but I have read that they are adjustable and sometimes require it.

Thanks!

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post deleted..... I totally forgot I was on a diesel forum (see post #3) I pretty much fail at life.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
grab a can of carb cleaner and spray it in places around the motor....if the motor idle changes you are getting close to the leak.
It might be a little easier/faster than having to trace every vacuum line.

on edit:yes, I realize I'm an idiot. I totally forgot I was on a diesel forum (see post #3) I pretty much fail at life.
Lol I know how you feel. I'm always going between diesel and gas engines. So sometimes I'm like "wait why is this on a diesel" and vise versa.
One could probably still use that method. But instead of change in idle, see if it's being sucked into the hose.
And look inside the hose for what you're spraying.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway....

Did the new booster come with the little check valve that snaps into it, that the vacuum line pushes into? That's about the only other thing in the mix. If you're getting vacuum on that hose when it's open, but no boost, about the only other piece of the puzzle is that check valve.

But just so we're all on the same page, you said "no brakes" in your opening post. Do you mean the pedal is still hard?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Anyway....

Did the new booster come with the little check valve that snaps into it, that the vacuum line pushes into? That's about the only other thing in the mix. If you're getting vacuum on that hose when it's open, but no boost, about the only other piece of the puzzle is that check valve.

But just so we're all on the same page, you said "no brakes" in your opening post. Do you mean the pedal is still hard?
He reposted this in the idi section since no one saw it here. He received a lot of replies.
But yes, he said hard peddle.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for not keeping up
On my own thread but I have been getting a good amount of help from the Facebook
Post I made however the issue still isn't resolved.

I put a second reman booster on, new master fresh fluid and bled all 4 corners as well as the RABS modulator, still no change in braking performance. This problem really just makes no
Sense

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the check valve when I did the booster and I also checked it on its own

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Make sure the pushrod going into the booster from the brake pedal isn't flipped 180* on the pedal pin, I did that by accident one day and it gave me a hard pedal even with lots of vacuum. It was pushing at an angle on the booster and causing a vacuum leak.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance you could snap a picture of your push rod so I can make sure I have mine twisted the right way? Thanks.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last night when I was driving I noticed that intermittently I would have a normal feeling pedal and fully functioning breaks, it's almost like the new vac pump I have just takes a long time to build enough vacuum to fill the booster. It hasn't acted like this the few other times I have driven it, I'd get one good pump of the brakes, then if I immediately depressed the pedal a second time it would be hard again. If I left it for a while I wools have a good pedal again for one pump. Also the ABS light seems to be staying off most of the time it's just the E-brake light that is illuminated now

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Matt, that's why I was curious what your vacuum system recovery time was after the brakes were applied.
a failing pump could get you to the 26inhg, but how fast does it get there is the concern. The same goes for brake application. :)