Vacuum lines???

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vacuum pump line goes to a plastic piece full of other lines
What are they?
Booster, cruise
But what is the one that goes to a can looking thing under my driver battery and what if one of the ports is open?
I think this is my brake problem

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That would be a problem. The can is merely to store vacuum. There is another line to operate your heater controls also. Using your open port to go to a vacuum gauge will give you plenty of insight as to how your brake system uses vacuum and as you learn where the gauge is supposed to be, a problem will be identifiable before it becomes a BIG problem.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Ill probably eliminate the can
Also what's the little round thing on the drivers side coming from that plastic piece? I'm looking to eliminate pieces that I don't need

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would not remove those cans or vacuum balls. The can on the drivers side is reserve vacuum for the cruise control. there should be a cap on the vacuum manifold. If you are missing a line or cap please repalce it. Start the engine and feel is there is suction on the nipple on the manifold.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Removing the can would be like using your air compressor without its tank. If anything, you would want to add a second can for a larger reserve of vacuum.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the can is shot
And my cruise doesn't work infanct I don't have it anymore lol
So if I need it ill but me a new one and put it somewheres easier. What I the vacuum ball?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe the vacuum ball is connected to the low fuel pressure switch on the filter heads.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well I'm puttin in a 12v now and have all aftermarket gauges for everything ill need
Way do I NEED on the vacuum lines?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok well I'm puttin in a 12v now and have all aftermarket gauges for everything ill need
Way do I NEED on the vacuum lines?

What are you doing... More words are needed to try to help you with this issue you have. If your installing a 12 volt electric vacuum pump I feel you should know it wont supply enough vacuum to ASFELY STOP YOUR TRUCK. The only time an electric vacuum pump can run everything but the power vacuum brakes is when you have upgraded your brakes to the hydraulic hydroboost brake master cylinder type brakes. Then all the vacuum has to do is work the cruise control and the ac heater vents. Please understand all of us are trying very hard to help you.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry 12v as in a cummins
I'm not very informed on all the vacuum system and was told I can disconnect everything but the booster itself but I like my a/c and heater. But I don't have cruise. And the 12v cummins has a vacuum pump that is more than compatible

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to "hi-jack" somebody else's thread, but I have the same basic question. We are in the midst of a 6.9 swap into a 79 dentside 4x4. We did a body lift so we can still use the vacuum boost on the brakes, and have no a/c or cruise, so that is the ONLY reason for the pump to be running off of the engine. The previous owner (who started the swap) did not give us a reservoir from the "donor truck", nor do I recal seeing one listed for the "donor" (86 f-250 4x4) in LMC's catalog. Should one be installed?

Thanks,

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
yes i would think a reservoir would be required in either situation The vacum runs the heater controls and brakes and cruise control on some models, other than that I cant think of much else

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Think of vacuum as this. Its a complete absence of something but it really is something. An air tank is an area where a volume of air is kept. so a vacuum resivour is and area of absence where a tank holds that. Look at the volume found in an air cylinder the size of a Co2 bottle for a pelle gun. Now think about the same pressure in a compressed bottle of breathable air. Which one runs out first.. So now you might see why its a good idea to have a can filled with vacuum to run all the needed vacuum items on your truck.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at options, and the ones that are spherical, about the size of a softball seem to be pretty readily available. Should that be sufficient to provide 'reserve" for the brakes (I think the hvac on a dentside is cable operated). For fifteen bucks at the parts store, I suppose it can't HURT.

Thanks for the expertise and wisdom, guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin