vacuum brake booster

RetiringColt

Reaction score
Dose your booster hiss or make squeaky noises when you push the brake pedal. that's usually signs of a leaking booster. Like folks have stated above. Test systems separately. Either with vacuum or light pressure. As far as upgrading goes, a double diaphragm is probably as good as you'll get. I believe the stock booster is a double diaphragm type. There might be a triple diaphragm out there, but who knows if it would bolt up and if the supplied vacuum would be enough?

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RetiringColt , I do not hear any hissing when applying brakes. I may have to pressure up ( 5#) on the system and check with soapy water....I have decent brakes, I just get one good application then the next one is not nearly as smooth and soft.

RetiringColt

Reaction score
Ok more than likely its your booster. Do you have a vacuum gauge. If so you could tee into the booster and watch the vacuum while using the brakes. I'll have to tee into mine to give you a comparison. I'll try to get back to you today. I work nights so please be patient if I don't.

RetiringColt

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
at idle I had 22-1/2 ish vacuum. First pedal pump dropped to about 11. And after 5 pumps it pretty much had no assist. The needle went back to 9-10 inches of mercury while holding the pedal. I need new rear wheel cylinders but my brakes are good on the road. I put the gage on the accessory union at the firewall.