V-8 Cummins

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Well today I was walking around the inlaws junk pile and a silver colored truck engine cought my eye. At first I thought it was a silver series Detroit, but after closer inspection I found it to be a product of the Cummins engine line. It is a turbocharged V8 out of an International cab over twinscrew truck. Any ideas to what it is? It has a picture window in the block, but I would guess the heads, fuel system, turbo, and other misc parts are good.

Justin

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I've seen several V-555's in Big A's, but never actually seen one with a turbo. The guy I bend exhaust for has one, NA, with a 10-speed, he's saving for a future project.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
9 - 0 - nuthin'..................as I was told they were....LOL!!!

Don't know much anything else though......

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I haven't heard of or been around a good V8 diesel. I was just wondering what the engine could be so if I get the opportunity to ebay the parts I have a better idea of what they are.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FireMarshal3311 said:
"we have a triple nickel (555) with a turbo on a Ford L-8000 tanker here at the firehouse, crap motor, underpowered and has the cavitation issues too."

Firemarshall3311,

WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!!!! ;Sweet

Hang out a while and have some fun. :thumbsup:

I wonder if that 555 is a lower powered version? Some guys think DT466's are junk until they realize they're driving a 190HP version LOL . We all know it's a great diesel, just needs to be speced with a decent power rating.

2500cummins

Reaction score
The V8 cummins motors came in at least 2 basic block sizes, I have one out of a medium duty truck about the same size as a 3208 Cat and another much larger version in a Mack highway tractor.

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, two different V8's from Cummins; the 555 and the 903.

Both were pretty poor motors. The only way they'll live is if they're turned pretty far down; which is how the factory shipped 'em. Something like 250 pitiful HP from the 903...

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes the IH 9 Litre sound like a powerhouse! LOL

I wonder if the Cummins boys know a pair of Cummins duds like this even exist. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online