Update on my Turbo situation. Ideas? advice? Thoughts?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
The waste gate is frozen on the red truck. I sprayed it down real good w/ WD-40. No PB B'laster at home.
This truck hasn't been liscenced since June of '96. They've just used it as a yard dog. Therefore, While the turbo spins freely, it hasn't been wound up enough to close the waste gate in a long time.
Any ideas on how to get the waste gate free without pulling the Turbo?
The damned thing is packed in there so tight, I dont know how I'd get my hands up in there.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some Silikroil or PB Blaster, it might take a few days to get it loose. If that stuff doesn't work you'll prolly have to pull it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
As said Pb blaster and patience. Now if there is no rubber parts heat could be Your friend.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
PB blaster or Kroil will work but add some heat. Run the motor till its warm, then spray it with either one. Try to cool it down with the sray and it will pull it into the tight areas. Kroil spray (made by Kano Labs) will creep into 1 millionth of an inch crack. I have used it for 30 years in the power generation business and yes it really works. Tapping it with a couple of lite blows with a hammer and punch will help. Just don't hit it till it breaks something.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You lucky Joe...... I wish mine would have just broken loose as easy but nope. I just bought another Banks wastegated turbo last year....-cuss

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Oh, I will! I still gotta change the thermostat before I go out and start romping on it.
BTW, Tanx for the advice. What did it was heating up the housing w/ map gas, then dousing w/ PB B'laster, so that it got drawn up into the shaft as it cooled. (Kinda like sweating pipe)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I'll mention that my son won last years science project by doing a detailed comparison between WD-40 and PB Blaster. I helped him do it, and we came up with a system to measure the torque required to free a rusty nut and bolt. The group of test bolts were welded to a steel plate, then a nut was spun on the bolt half way down the length of the bolt, and these bolts allowed to rust for 3 months outside, and were also given additional water to speed the rusting process. 6 nuts were then treated with 3 drops of WD-40 one at a time, and allowed to soak for 3 minutes, before being unscrewed. 6 nuts were also treated with PB Blaster in the same fashion. Each nut/bolt junction was treated, allowed to soak, and then torque tested individually. In each case, the PB Blaster bolts required less torque to remove, and a shorter soak time to achieve a nut that would move, while in 2 cases, the WD-40 treated ones would not budge at all within our torque limits. Those nuts were then treated with PB Blaster, and came free within 3 minutes. The method used to measure torque, was a socket wrench to which a rubber band and ruler had been attached. Torque was measured by how far the rubber band stretched before the bolt would move.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet on getting the waste gate un-stuck

Good info Mel & congrats to the young one.:thumbsup:

IMHO Silikroil is the best you can buy, closely followed by PB blaster. Nothing else even garners an honorable mention for me. Only thing I use WD 40 for is, quick lube for a squeak, air tool oil when I don't have proper air tool oil handy and starting fluid for diesels in an emergency.

If you can't break something free with those two then it's time for the hot wrench. I've gotten stuck engines that have been sitting 20+ years freed up with PB blaster on 3 day soaks. They smoke like heck when you get them to fireLOL

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well seen this post late , but there is also a product out there called Kroil I have seen it break 30 year old rusted bolts in factorys. Almost instantly I perfer it over any but that just me it is not found at your local hardware store but you can find it online and at industrial supply stores. ;Sweet

Glad you got that thing loose!

didnt see your post tanka but I must agree with you on the silikroil.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
have any of you guys heard of jb-80. they buy it at work and i think it works better then pb blaster and it smells good to lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online