Update on my 7.3 turbo to 6.9 turbo swap

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
Well, I've been driving my truck for the past month or so, the past two weeks or so straight, because my car got stolen while driving my truck one day. Grr. Anyhow, I haven't completely finished everything I've wanted to, and its bothering me. First, I only have a stock water temp gauge right now. Something is wrong with my mech gauge and I gotta figure it out. Second, I am stupid and when I did my motor swap I didn't do the rear main seal, so it drips oil overnight or over a few hours. Thats cause I'm an idiot. Other than that it seems to be running good. It smokes quite a bit when I floor it, the ip is turned up pretty good. But the egt gauge is pre turbo inlet by about 3" and it shows 950 up the Sunol grade. (8%) I've been spooked because I know too much about engines yet I am too young to realize what they are really capable of. I'm always worrying. Ignorance may be bliss. Anyhow, my non waste gated banks turbo is boosting 10 psi with a 11 psi spike. The 6.9 I bought was from nosprk and he said it had about 100k on it. It has a stamp from ford that its a reman engine. I think my combination seems safe from what I've gathered about the boost pressure and egt. However it smokes a lot in my opinion I live at sea level. I'm worried about what will happen when I go to Nevada to race my dirt bikes. Will the elevation choke it down and make me have to back off the throttle in the mountains, causing a loss of momentum that will only cause more egt to gain back? Once again now egt combination is 950* @11psi boost. Water temp is in the middle of normal. R-M range. Lol.

The first video shows the same crack on the piston head in the same spot on multiple pistons. What do you think could have caused this? Obviously this was the reason there was so much blow by on the previous engine, and ultimately loss of compression, but why the same patern?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnSsO8DoRw

Ignore commentary, I may have been an idiot at the time.

Here is another vid just cause I liked how the turbo sounded at night as it spooled up..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hy1-6TpUcjU

I'll take another tomorrow as I climb a tight hill in San Jose, metcalf road. There is a SVRA there and im goin to get some practice in on the mx track. Pretty steep windy road. Torque will be fun. Which reminds me, I need to fix my tranny temp gauge too..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. I see those are a factory set of Mahle pistons by the "A" imprinted on top of them. But the cracks are something I didn't feel would happen on those. Is there any burnt edges of the pistons. If not about the only thing I can think that would cause this crack mess is timing set way advanced. The pistonsa re approx. 5/8 thick where thay cracked. The thinnest area under the piston dome is 560 to 580 thousands thick and that in the center of the piston.

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
Actually I looked at a few pics I took and it seems that there were a few burned edges. I'll upload a pic of the timing setup before I removed the IP .. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it seems way advanced..

Last edited: