Unexpected find when rotating tires..

Chicken_Fried

Reaction score
You're good at a lot of weird stuff on late winter nights... Or punching screwdrivers through oil filters...LOL

They make long johns for that stuff.... :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

;p

I instead decided to keep the skirt and got myself a small shop for the jeep with a motor oil heater. You cant fit the truck in there but I can run a midsize WVO production, Have the jeep in and all the doors open, Plus I can fit a couple thousand lbs of scrap metal in the corners and still have enough room to setup a work bench and kind of walkaround everything.

Sorry about the hijack of the thread.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Found the same thing today with mine. I went ahead and replaced all the rear wheel bearings along with the seals. Not a fun job!

My bearings were good to go, so i'll be re-using them. Does anyone have the torque specs for that ratcheting lock ring thing to hold in the wheel bearings, and the 8 hub bolts?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the pics and tell me what's not supposed to be there.

I was going to say what's SUPPOSED to be there. After all, you WERE just rotating tires right? I'm thinking... um.. the brake drum? LOL

Where was it ozing out that it was pretty obvious?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that installing brake shoes in 20* temps when your fingers wont bend is difficult. I'm still not sure why I always end up doing rear brakes on late winter nights.

'Tis the season...

Seems like whenever I get to working on my truck during the week, I usually don't even start on it until about 8 pm...so, this time of the year that means I'm working in the dark a lot, which has made me realize I need a better trouble light.

I have found that during the winter, it usually doesn't matter what time of day you're working, it's just plain cold! When I had my truck sitting outside 2 winters ago while I did a bunch of work on it (turbo rebuild, ATS elbow install, exhaust, etc) I was out there every weekend working on it no matter the weather (and it was a bit rough).

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
no ozing actually, just thick, black, awful gear oil over everything. This experience may turn out to be a good thing because I have 2 front tires on order, going to have new brake shoes, and because the truck is immobile at this point in time, I checked out my glow plugs because I had a short cycle the other day when it was cold, and found a dead plug that I can order now.

So the tire status will go from, 4 junk tires, and 2 crappy tires...to 2 new tires (steers), 2 crappy tires, and 2 junk tires.

Starting will be good again, and I will order spare plugs also. I'm going to stick with the Borg warner ones because even though I had a few die, they havn't swelled or anything, and the ones that have been good since the install are still .2 ohms, with one toggling between .2 - .3 ohms. The one that died was an autolite 1108, and that was put in place of the borg that died within days.

I also tested the voltage at the plugs, and that is 9.7 max. It climbs gradually from 9.4ish, until the after glow kicks in. With the borg plugs rated at 10.5V, i'm thinking the falty ones are a fluke.

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to check the vent line in the axle tube to make sure its open. I had a chronic problem with axle seals some years ago, until I found out the vent line was clogged. Everytime the axle got heated up it forced oil past the seals...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online